Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MDS/MDF v2.0 in DT and MDS/MDF specification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDS/MDF v2.0 in DT and MDS/MDF specification?

Hi. I have two simple questions regarding the MDS/MDF file format.
    1) I understand that MDS/MDF is an open standard, and if correct isn't there a specification somewhere?

2) Daemon Tools Pro seems to use a new v2.0 format of the MDS that other tools like Alcohol 120% and BlindWrite (Bwa builder) does not understand. What is the reason for this change of version?

Regards,

Originally Posted by hineck View Post
    1) I understand that MDS/MDF is an open standard, and if correct isn't there a specification somewhere?
    It is not an open standard. Why do you think so? And there is no publicly available specification for MDS/MDF format.

2) Daemon Tools Pro seems to use a new v2.0 format of the MDS that other tools like Alcohol 120% and BlindWrite (Bwa builder) does not understand. What is the reason for this change of version?
    MDS/MDF format (as well as MDX) is native format of DAEMON Tools. There is only one version of MDS/MDF, no v2.0 exists.

Comment

It is not an open standard. Why do you think so? And there is no publicly available specification for MDS/MDF format.
      I don't have the link, but it said "Open standard" on a site describing file extensions. It must have been wrong then.
      Do you know why the format isn't publicly specified? This must mean that all other software supporting mds/mdf have reversed the format?

MDS/MDF format (as well as MDX) is native format of DAEMON Tools. There is only one version of MDS/MDF, no v2.0 exists.
      I was under the impression that MDS/MDF was actually created by the Alcohol team - is it not?
      I must have made some mistake regarding my v2.0 statement as I cannot provoke the error in BlindWrites BWA builder anymore that made me think there was a v2.0 - my bad.

I am still curious though - you say there is only one version of MDS/MDF, and yet images I create with the newest DT Pro in MDS/MDF format (NOT mdx) cannot be read by Alcohol 120% whose DPM info (MDS files) in turn cannot be read by BlindWrites BWA builder -even though all three softwares support mds/mdf files - how can this be?

Comment

I was under the impression that MDS/MDF was actually created by the Alcohol team - is it not?
        No, it isn't. MDS/MDF and MDX are proprietary image formats of DAEMON Tools (DT Soft Ltd).

If you need more info about MDS/MDF, contact our support team. There is no need to discuss it here as this issue touches upon some nonpublic technical and legal aspects.

Comment

Thanks for the information Sway. I wasn't aware that it was property of DT.
          This raises another question though - isn't it illegal for Alcohol (and other products) to implement mds/mdf usage then?

Comment

If they licensed the format it isn't illegal. Alcohol licensed it.
            Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
            Peace Through Power

Comment

If they licensed the format it isn't illegal. Alcohol licensed it.
              I see. Thanks.

Comment

As a side note you may want to correct wikipedia as it states alcohol soft created the mds/mdf format: Alcohol 120% - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alcohol 120% can also mount disc images, with support for their proprietary Media Descriptor Image (.mds/.mdf) disc image format.

Comment

Working...
                X