PDA

View Full Version : Daemon Tools Lite can't image multisession ISO disc

CrazyBlend
01.04.2011, 22:02
I'm using Daemon Tools Lite v 4.40.2.0131 on Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP1.

I've mounted an mds/mdf file, and I'm trying to save it as an iso file. However, when I try, DTL gives the message, "Unable to make ISO image for multisession disc".

Is this a restriction of the Lite version? If so, what's the minimum version of Daemon Tools I need to get, to be able to create the iso file?

Thanks for any help.

Terramex
01.04.2011, 23:51
No, it's a restriction of the ISO 9660 file system - no matter which program you're using.

What do you need your mds/mdf image for to be in ISO format ?

CrazyBlend
02.04.2011, 00:27
I guess it's only because Windows 7 recognizes ISO files, but not other extensions like mds/mdf or nrg. Therefore, ISO files are less likely to become obsolete over time.

Terramex
02.04.2011, 21:19
What's the content of that mds/mdf image ?
If it's not mandatory to keep it multisession, just build/create a new ISO with all its files using a
premastering app capable of building ISOs like nero, ImgBurn or of course the Image Editor of DT Pro ;)

CrazyBlend
03.04.2011, 21:34
Yes, that's true; I have Roxio Creator 2010.

I just didn't realize that different disk image file formats have different capabilities. Now I wonder why iso is so popular.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

xblkx
21.11.2013, 06:42
What's the content of that mds/mdf image ?
If it's not mandatory to keep it multisession, just build/create a new ISO with all its files using a
premastering app capable of building ISOs like nero, ImgBurn or of course the Image Editor of DT Pro ;)

Hi. I'm a new user of Daemon Tools Lite (4.48.1.0347), XP Pro SP3.
I downloaded DTLite because I wanted to make an ISO of an audio CD I authored in Nero 6.6. That version which I purchased doesn't support saving an ISO (only an NRG, which is useless to anyone who hasn't purchased a Nero product). I wanted to use the ISO image format because it's compatible with many programs and operating systems.

DTLite complains "Unable to make ISO image for multisession disc".
But it isn't a multisession disc. It's an audio CD, one session, which I burned and finalized from flac files (ripped from EAC, with no data tracks) and plays just fine on multiple systems and players. Nero (Disc info) confirms it is a single session. 17 audio tracks but definitely only one session. I'm a computer professional; I know a great deal about file systems and disc formats, and this seems very much like a bug in DTLite. It is mistaking a 1-session audio CD as a multi-session disc and consequently not allowing to make an ISO image.

Terramex
21.11.2013, 15:07
No matter whether it's multisession or not (correctly it should complain about a multi-track-disc): the ISO format can't be used for Audio CDs.
Take a look here under "Limitations": ISO image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image)

Either choose the MDS format, or the for AUDIO CDs more common CUE format (using ImgBurn).

xblkx
23.11.2013, 10:13
Thanks for your reply and the technical info! I did not even realize it wasn't possible to make an ISO of an Audio CD. The error message about the multi-session disc was misleading me about the root cause of the problem. I'll try the MDS format.