Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange problem causing daemon AND computer Freeze/Crash/Jam/Hang need help with ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange problem causing daemon AND computer Freeze/Crash/Jam/Hang need help with ASAP

I have a problem that is causing both daemon tools to crash AND my computer to hang when shutting down or restarting. It happens in seemingly any (I think) version of old daemon tools up to most up to date daemon tools lite when I run Media-Player-Classic (NOTE: M.P.C itself does not appear to crash at ANY time).

I can load a virtual drive, load any ISO of a movie I have stored anywhere, play the movie in M.P.C, and unmount the image with no problems at all. But when it comes to trying to remove the virtual drive (immedately after running M.P.C) then daemon tools freezes. The message saying " removing virtual drive" remains stuck on the screen but nothing happens at all. I cannot do anything with daemon tools at this point. In task manager daemon tools does not appear to have a "stopped responding" message, yet still nothing happens. Even if i try to force quit daemon tools in task manager it still remains locked and active in there. On top of these things, when I try to shut down or restart windows, windows gets stuck on the shutting-down screen, and hangs there indefinitly (it definitly does not do this any other time!)
    HOWEVER, once daemon and my computer have frozen and I'm forced to manually restart my computer by the reset button, after loading back into windows, daemon tools has unlocked itself and I can safely remove the virtual drive with no problems at all (provided i don't try and reload something and use M.P.C again at this point - LOL).
    Strange thing though, I also have VLC media player, and if i use that instead of M.P.C, then I have no problems at all and the virtual drive is removed with no freezing of any kind (and my computer shuts down normally). I can only assume daemon tools doesn't like M.P.C for some reason, but i read somewhere someone uses M.P.C themself, and they don't seem to have any problems (so I guess for me it's a much deeper problem on my computer somewhere).
    I haven't tested this problem to see if it exists on PRO daemon - though i'm guessing it probably does.

Right then, er, my computer specs:

OS: XP Home Service-Pack-3 (up to date updates from microsoft updates site)
    Version of Daemon Tools: as I said above, seems to do it on any of the original or lite versions. Have not tested on PRO.
    Burning Software / CD emulation software: none currently installed or have had installed since last hard-drive reformat (I think).
    Internet Security: Kaspersky Internet Security 9
    Hardware: (er, not sure what is what so I'll put what I can find I guess) - AMD athlon(tm) II X3 440 Processor 3.01 ghz, 3,25GB of RAM, motherboard: GA-MA770T-UD3, graphics card: geforce 200 series gts 250.....

Errrrrr, I have a raid card thingy with a couple of hard drives running off it, but don't know much (if any) technical stuff about that..... (I have 3 hard drives total - 2 are on the raid card thingy).

Also, checked event-viewer for errors and stuff and could not find any errors that occured around the time daemon freezes.

Oh and I believe the SPTD thingy I've got installed is the most up to date one - I THINK i had a lower one installed a while back and it was still doing the same thing.

Other than all that, am not sure what else to say. Any help appreciated.

somerandomuser

Oh, my appologies, I did forget one thing.

I said after using M.P.C to play ISO movies that daemon crashes when removing the virtual drive and locks my computer from shutting down properly or restarting (and in turn becomes unlocked when i manually reboot later). Well, say i DON'T remove the virtual drive immedately after using M.P.C (basically leave daemon running).... Well, shut down or restart my computer then DOES work normally (and later upon reboot I can then remove virtual drive regardless no problems).

Media-Player-Classic does NOT appear to crash or freeze during any of this, yet seems to be the main cause of my problems for some reason - I don't understand why, and can find no other information anywhere concerning conflicts with M.P.C and daemon tools.

(I guess the obvious thing to do would be to leave the virtual drive running at all times, but I like to able to remove it safely, so would still appreciate any help or comments about this).

Comment

First of all, install the latest DAEMON Tools Lite version (v4.40.2) and check the problem with enabled/disabled Advanced Emulation option.
      http://disc-tools.com/download/daemon

Comment

somerandomuser

I have installed DAEMON Tools Lite version (v4.40.2) and tried having the Advanced Emulation option enabled or disabled - it makes no difference and the after-play-ISO-in-Media-Player-Classic-then-remove-virtual-drive problem still crashes my computer on shut down or restart.

HOWEVER, i should note, with this version of Deamon Tools Lite, the "removing virtual drive (device)" message no longer remains stuck on screen, and Daemon Tools does not jam/crash either. Also, the virtual drive itself seemingly appears to be safely removed from windows, yet my computer still crashes on shut-down (<<< and yes, my computer only does this when M.P.C and daemon tools are used together, it does not crash any other time).

Comment

We have reproduced this problem. It will be researched. Thanks for report!

Comment

Working...
          X