Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTLite.exe - Entry Point Not Found error

Hi

I installed Daemon Tools Lite V.4.41.3.0173 on my XP Home system, the install went fine but everytime it starts I get the following error message:

DTLite.exe - Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll.

I searched my system for msvcrt.dll and found the follow occurrences of it:

C:\WINDOWS\System32 Ver. 7.0.2600.5512 Des. Windows NT CRT DLL
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\PC Probe II Ver. 6.1.9844.0 Des. Microsoft C Runtime Library
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 Ver. 7.0.2600.5512 Des. Windows NT CRT DLL
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin Ver. 6.0.8337.0 Des. Microsoft C Runtime Library
    + several occurrences in C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusR untime_# (last entry matches the System32 entry)

The only one that falls within the normal system file search paths is the one in system32 and according to anything I can find online about it it is the latest version supplied by MS in updates.

I'm running on the machine with the error:

Windows XP Home Edition
    Ver: 5.1.2600 SP 3 Build 2600

Security installed
    COMODO Internet Security Premium
    Ver: 5.5.195786.1383
    DB Ver: 9876

System was freshly installed 23 Jul 2011 (after doing a full HD wipe and reformat)
    Last updates done 3 Aug 2011. (I don't use auto updating)
    Downloaded and Installed Daemon Tools Lite 22 Aug 2011(downloaded from the official site)

Does anyone have any ideas how I fix this as I don't want to download a different version of msvcrt.dll off the net (who knows what's been done to it) or reinstall my system.

Cheers

Did you try to disable Comodo completely (disabled autostart of it and its services)?
    Make something idiot proof, but then they just make a better idiot
    Peace Through Power

Comment

Could also possibly need the visual c runtimes installed
      my views are 100% personal views..

Comment

Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
        Did you try to disable Comodo completely (disabled autostart of it and its services)?
        Yes. I still get the same error message.

Originally Posted by evlncrn8 View Post
        Could also possibly need the visual c runtimes installed
        According to my systems information info it is already installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

While looking on the MS support site I found an error report about a similar problem (same DLL different entry point) it suggested I extract the original msvcrt.dll from my install CD, it also mentioned a support utility called Dependency Walker which was in the Support Tools directory on that CD. It can list all the entry points in a DLL. I installed that and checked my current msvcrt.dll, there were only entries for _except_handler2 and _except_handler3, I then expended the original msvcrt.dll from my CD to another directory and looked at that, it also doesn't have an entry for _except_handler4_common. Has someone tried to code an entry for the Windows 7 msvcrt.dll in the XP version DTL?

Comment

Addendum: While checking my other XP install disks I found a version of msvcrt named msvcrt(DEBUG).dll (on an XP Pro SP3 disk), it has the entry point _except_handler4_common. Unfortunately Dependency Walker states it has the following error: "At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.". The dependent module it is highlighting is KERNEL32.DLL! So I don't think I'll replace my version with it. Maybe someone compiled DTL using the debug version of msvcrt.

Comment

I appears no one has a solution to my problem so I have gone a found another ... pity.

Comment

Please try to install the latest DAEMON Tools Pro 4.41.0315 and check the problem.

Comment

@Spanners
                Maybe the error is caused by a dependency call of a non-XP dll in your system32.
                e.g. there was a known problem of a Creative XP/Vista drivers pack.
                Is there by any chance a dwmapi.dll ?
                I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Solution Found: After lots of searching online I found those post on DWMAPI.DLL and after renaming it (added .OLD on the end) the error went away. I not sure where it came from as I do not have any Creative products on my PC. Could someone check the installer in case it was included by accident as this error didn't show until I installed DTL and it started coming up on 2 other products that worked fine before.

Cheers

Comment

Hi
                    DTLite does not install any libs to the system. All needed libraries are installed in DTLite installation folder (like msvcp100.dll, msvcr100.dll, etc.).
                    Welcome to the dark side, my dear padavan. We have cookies

Comment

Apart from that even if our lazy bunch of Beta Testers had missed that one
                      there should have been at least a few more XP users reporting that message.

I'd check all non-Microsoft driver packages you've installed so far.
                      Or maybe do a search for files with the same creation time.
                      I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Working...
                      X