• Show
Clear All

• Daemon Tools 3,46 prevents Windows from installing SP2

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2 2138
    Burning Software: Nero 5.5
    Anti-virus Software: AVG 6 Free Edition
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

Hello there,

the actual Daemon Tools version 3.46 prevents Windows XP from installing Service Pack 2. This applies to both SP2 RC1 and SP2 Build 2138.

The error message is "The file 'c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys' is open or is used by another application. Please close all applications and click retry". (Please note: I've translated this error message, I use a german windows version)

The error is specific to the actual D-Tools version, I had version 3.41 working before and I could install both Service Pack versions.

Please fix this or just note it in the installation procedure. It's simple to uninstall D-Tools before installing the Service Pack, but its difficult to figure out the cause of this error.

Anyway, after installation of SP2 the the D-Tools V3.46 can be installed without problems.

Best regards,
    Daniel Schuhmann

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought SP2 for XP isn't available yet??

Because if we are talking about BETA releases of Service Packs here, well, then
    maybe you should REREAD your posting again. Are you kidding us?
    Does you mean it serious?? Really, I doubt it. Unless we're talking about the
    REAL and FINAL xp-SP2 here

Comment

You must uninstall daemon first.

Comment

@Locutus:
        I am really not kidding. For sure, it is not the final service pack version. But its the Release Candidate (RC) and a second beta version (Build 2138). Both versions are released from Microsoft to the public. I just wanted to notify that there can be a problem with the next SP and the current D-Tools version (As i said, i've tested the installation of both SPs with the older D-Tools version 3.41 too, and it works). The problem is, that daemon "holds" the file atapi.sys opened, I don't believe, that this will be a specific BETA problem.
        The current RC1 is open for everyone, you can download this here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...p2preview.mspx
        For the Build 2138 I only have a direct download link: http://www.download.windowsupdate.co...l/xpsp2_de.exe

@Andareed:
        I know this, I've done it this way and it works after the SP2 installation with the current D-Tools version.

Regards,
        Daniel Schuhmann

PS: Excuse me for my poor english

Comment

We plan to fix this problem in next versions and remove that locking.

Comment

Working...
          X