• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error installing daemon tools :(

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
    Burning Software: alcohol 120%, nero 6.1
    Anti-virus Software: Norton 2003
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

Hi there, I was installing daemon tools 3.46 on my family pc so I could play a copied version of Sacred (I use the original cd in my laptop). I'd already installed daemonscript on this pc, and started to install daemontools when wham! my computer just reboots with no warning - black screen then a restart. On loading up windows, the new hardware wizard decides it's found a 'PNP BIOS Extension' and tries to install it, then fails.

Running the daemon tools installer again tells me:
    "Some driver has invalid name or conflicts with other file or service in system. Please choose other driver names or make sure you have rebooted after removal of sofware using same names".

Curious, I navigate to c:\program files\D-tools\ and find a half-installed copy of daemon tools, the .exe file is only 40kb big.

I uninstall Daemonscript which then tells me something along the lines of 'A Daemon tools installation has been suspended; do I want to remove it' so I press continue.
    I then uninstall Alcohol 120%, and try to uninstall D-tools via 'Add & Remove Programs' in the control pane; but there's no entry.
    I send the D-tools folder to the recyle bin, reboot and try again: but again no luck.

It now seems that Daemontools doesn't like me using the Bus driver name "d346bus", or the Miniport driver name "d346prt". The install works fine if I rename or change these.

Do I still have these half-installed driver/bus names on my system somewhere? I'd like to remove them but can't find them using device manager.

Check thread about error 25002 in common problems and solutios forum to remove leftovers, check if you've minidump (in Windows\Minidump folder) we can check (if so, send newest file to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread), and disable the stupid automatic reboot in case of BSOD.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Same installation problem

Operating System: Windows 2000
      Burning Software: Nero 6
      Anti-virus Software: None
      DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

I'm having the same problem.

When try to install DT the setup seems to be just about completed and then my comp spontaneously reboots (no proper shutdown).
      Upon restarting DT was not finished installing.

In the Device manager is the 'PnP BIOS Extension' and this i can uninstall. I do not however have SCSI/RAID section.

When try to uninstall I can remove most registry entries except for the ones ...\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\PCI\d346prt. In the 'Class' and 'DeviceDesc' values this appears to be the SCSI controler. I keep getting error 'error deleting key'.

Hope you can help out on this one

Greets,
      Roland

Comment

Check if you've permissions to delete the key, run regedt32.
        Also check if you've minidump in WinNT\Minidump folder we can check, if so, send newest file related to the crash to support@daemon-tools.cc.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

With regedt32 i was able to update my permission and delete those keys.

Now hoping you can help get DT installed. I've mailed my latest minidump.

Here is also a copy of my install log.

log removed due to solved problem :mrgreen:

Comment

You've problem with Starforce drivers - I replied also via mail.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

Editing and deleting my registry keys did not go smoothly . I completely screwed up my windows installation and permissions... even administrator had no permission to load profile LOL.

So i've just reinstalled windows and was able to install DT without any problems.

Just one more question though... you say that starforce drivers was my problem. Would installing that game (wouldn't know which one) now cause a conflict with DT ?

Thanks,
              Roland

Comment

Usually you will have no problem then. But better update your game also to latest patch.

Comment

Working...
                X