• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezes at bootup with images mounted from optical devices

Operating System: WinXP / Win2K3
    Burning Software: _
    Anti-virus Software: _
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

This problems happens while booting with images (of any kind) mounted from CD or DVD drives, not when the images reside in any HDD. When the two conditions are met (automount + image is stored on CD/DVD media; although this may happen with other types of removable devices but is untested), the system freezes at bootup.

I remember to have reported this (or something similar) before, but since now I've also found the problem in a couple of different systems (both VIA, one was a KT600 and the other a KT800) that only had clean Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 installs, I thought that it would be interesting to take a deeper look at it.

So I've traced the source of the problem (or it should be better said the solution), to be related with the loading order of d346bus. If d346bus is loaded before scsiport the system hangs; but if it is loaded after, the problem dissapears. By altering the group of d346bus to "SCSI miniport" I've managed to get it loading exactly before scsiport (1), and by altering the group to "Primary disk", I've got order (2)*:

* sc config d346bus group= "Primary disk"

d346bus.sys
    scsiport.sys

scsiport.sys
    d346bus.sys

With (1) the computer locks up at booting, unless I previously eject the physical disc containing the images; (2) works flawlessly, so I've settled with it. May this be a problem with dependencies ???.

Try to update the ASPI drivers with official Adaptec v4.71.2
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

No ASPI layer is present (it shouldn't have anything to do with this, anyway), the test was performed with clean Windows installs; the first software that was installed was Daemon Tools.

Comment

d346bus must load as early as possible - but changing its load order group you lose much of its functionality and it also may lead to unpredictable results.
        The cause of lockup is rather some buggy scsi/raid driver you have - this way you just eliminate the consequense, not the cause.

Comment

I have this problem in my PC and I only have IDE devices, one hard disk in the first IDE channel and a DVD rewriter as master with a CD rewriter as slave in the secondary channel.

My mainboard doesn't even have SATA. The other systems where this problem happens have on board SATA with a SATA hard disk and only one DVD rewriter as master on IDE1; the only common link between them is that the chipsets all come from VIA, so it may be a thing of the drivers, but VIA doesn't update the 32bit 4 in 1 drivers since Dec 2003.

Regarding what you say about the sooner the loading is performed the better, I already know that the first driver to claim a device obtains ownership of it, but I only use image files, so I'm not concerned if I lose emulation functionality; I prefer to avoid crashes.

Comment

Do you use standard atapi.sys driver?

Comment

Yes, I don't use the VIA miniport. I tested some emulation from physical CDs and it works fine no matter the driver loading order, I succesfully used a couple of Securom and Safedisc titles, so I can't see any problems after the change.

This is part of the ntbtlog.txt (I reverted back the driver group and ejected the DVD that contains the mounted images before booting; otherwise the system freezes), so you can see that there's nothing uncommon with the miniports:

//ntbtlog.txt
              //
              Controlador cargado \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
              Controlador cargado \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
              Controlador cargado \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
              Controlador cargado \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
              Controlador cargado ACPI.sys
              Controlador cargado \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
              Controlador cargado pci.sys
              Controlador cargado isapnp.sys
              Controlador cargado d346bus.sys
              Controlador cargado viaide.sys