Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone take me through a step by step process of making a back up of Doom 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone take me through a step by step process of making a back up of Doom 3

Operating System: XP
    Burning Software: Alcohol
    Anti-virus Software: -
    DAEMON Tools Version: Latest version

I'm trying to get a back up now of Doom 3. It's a brand new game and everything, big release, so it's sure to have all the latest copy portection. I've tried once, but came up unsucesful, so what I'm looking for now is sort of a brief step by step process on how to back up the game onto new discs. I've got alcohol and and daemon, and as far as I know that's all I need right?

Thanks in advance

subject..

Operating System: Windows 2000 "Professional" Swe
    Burning Software: Nero 6.3.0.3
    Anti-virus Software: none! smart users don't need any. :]
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

hi.

ok. the deal is I am just about to buy 5 copies of Doom 3. not all those are for me, but I want to buy the original game. the problem is that there are many users playing the game on the same comp and I don't like them playing around with the original cds. so I make images and mount them with daemon.
    I haven't made an image yet, but will try later tonight. I'll reply with the result.
    I've managed to make working images of all games I have so far except UT2003, but since I don't like 2003, I didn't try that hard either..

later..

Comment

follow up..

hello again.

here's the first try, which works perfectly:
      1. acquire Alcohol 120% 1.4.8.1222.
      2. install the software.
      3. install Doom 3 from the original CDs.
      4. start Alcohol.
      5. select "Image Making Wizard".
      6. select the CD/DVD device where your original Doom 3 disc 1 is inserted.
      7. Read Speed: Maximum.
      8. Datatype: SafeDisc 2/3 (this should turn on "Skip reading errors" and "Fast skip error blocks" ONLY, the rest off)
      9. Next >
      10. select image location, name of the file and image format (I chose the iso format to get just one file).
      11. Start.
      12. when it's done, mount the created image file in Alcohol, options - general - emulation - extra emulation - check "BAD Sectors Emulation" ONLY and NOT the other 2 options.
      13. start the game and play.

step 12 works perfectly in Daemon-Tools V3.46 with only SecuROM enabled (which I must have for Diablo 2).

good luck and have fun.

Comment

1. acquire Alcohol 120% 1.4.8.1222.
        last version is 1.9.2.1705

Comment

:P

well, I simply gave him/her an answer. it was the first version I tested with and it worked. it's enough for me, but thanks for the info. :P

Comment

Operating System: xp home
            Burning Software: alcohol 1.4.2
            Anti-virus Software: norton 2k4
            DAEMON Tools Version: 3.46

hi,
            i tried it but alcohol says :
            cdvd read error at .... i get this error message every 5 seconds..until i quit the program

what shall i do? :?:

Comment

Nothing - just keep it going. Doom 3 is protected by SafeDisc 3.20, the read errors are part of the protection.
              Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
              They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

nice thx for the fast answer but is it normal that is takes so long? i mean..alcohol is working for 5 minutes now and image file is 8.7 mb of 480 mb...2% in 7 minutes now...is that normal?

Comment

Yes, you can reduce the read speed to e.g. 4x or 8x, so the cd-rom won't waste much time with spinning up'n'down at the read errors only.

Comment

ok it went faster at the end, image is now complete (.iso).
                    i put the file into a virtual drive of alcohol and click on my doom3 shortcut on desktop...doom3 picture goes up but then i get the error message from doom3:
                    CD/DVD emulation software has been detected. Please disable all CD/DVD emulation software and re-start the game

what now? :?: i activated safedisc emulation but still i get that error

Comment

Doom 3 works fine from virtual drive, check what other software you've installed, e.g. CloneCD (especially tray/hide ATIP) - try to disable/un-install.

Comment

no i dont use clonecd, hm maybe my alcohol is too old? ver. 1.4.2 build 308
                        on this machine i dont even have daemon tools, only alcohol :roll:

Comment

It's possible that older versions are blacklisted, try to update! :mrgreen:

Comment

yes i will try, brb

Comment

works fine with latest version thx

Comment

Working...
                              X