Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why DAEMON Tools Lite v4.48.1 (with SPTD 1.84) comes with spyware

Hi,

Why DAEMON Tools Lite v4.48.1 (with SPTD 1.84) comes with spyware. I know it's about the money but i hate to install crappy software just for having DAEMON Tools installed...

Hello,

We have several legal partners to monetize our freeware. Such services recommend users to install 3rd party software (toolbars, search engines or some useful software) during DAEMON Tools Lite installation. BUT it is absolutely optional. You can uncheck appropriate options in installation wizard, and nothing will be installed together with DAEMON Tools Lite. Also, you can disable your Internet connection during installation to prevent any offers. And of course, paid version of DAEMON Tools Lite does not contain any partner offers.

Please, specify, what kind of "spyware" were installed?
    Thank advance.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Originally Posted by SUPPORT1 View Post
      Hello,

We have several legal partners to monetize our freeware. Such services recommend users to install 3rd party software (toolbars, search engines or some useful software) during DAEMON Tools Lite installation. BUT it is absolutely optional. You can uncheck appropriate options in installation wizard, and nothing will be installed together with DAEMON Tools Lite. Also, you can disable your Internet connection during installation to prevent any offers. And of course, paid version of DAEMON Tools Lite does not contain any partner offers.

Please, specify, what kind of "spyware" were installed?
      Thank advance.
      I certainly won't be supporting DT if this keeps up.

Had the same issue today. Unclicked all other options and also clicked "skip" - still had PC Optimizer Pro installed.
      Also got hit with "Showpassword" spyware after installing.
      File downloaded from the redirect off the Daemon Tools website: Disk-Tools.com

Malwarebytes finds PUP.Optional.OpenCandy:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DTMalware.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	193544

Comment

Dear Customer,
        Thank you for reply.

We'll try to figure out and fix this issue.
        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Originally Posted by Delerium777 View Post
          Malwarebytes finds PUP.Optional.OpenCandy:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1577[/ATTACH]
          Please consider i don't remark this in Open Candy's defense, because in very few cases it's been reproduced that opting-out/cancelling/skipping/ doesn't always work as it should.
          And at least sometimes it isn't clear/self-explanatory how to avoid the 3rd party software installation.

Nevertheless, it's clearly stated in the EULA that there is OpenCandy on board:

Name:	Candy.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	193545

To entirely avoid Open Candy you can temporarily disable internet connection, or perform a silent installation.

Another option is to use the /NOCANDY parameter.

Name:	NOCANDY.png
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	193549
          Last edited by Terramex; 05.12.2013, 20:08.
          I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Thanks Terramex.

However it seems rather deceptive to me that in order to avoid addware/spyware, a user is expected to note addware in the EULA (which few actually read or even skim through) and use an installation parimeter to avoid it. Especially for users that have been using the same app for years because they "trust" said application. Not to mention that this doesn't explain how "showpassword" was also installed. This is too bad because prior to the last update I was considering upgrading to Pro.

Daemon tools can count me as 1 less user until they change their stance on addware/spyware. There are plenty of other good spyware free alternatives out there. I'll also be sure to pass this on to everyone I know as well, and we all know how well word of mouth advertising works.

Comment

Working...
            X