• Show
Clear All

• Issue running a game from a virtual drive

**I apologize if this is in the wrong sub-forum**

Specs:
    • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    • Intel Core i7-3520M @ 2.90GHz
    • 8 GB RAM
    • GPU should be irrelevant since I don’t even have the game installed to play yet.

Okay, so I recently moved down to college and had to purchase a laptop for the engineering school I am in. Unfortunately this laptop does not have a DVD drive and I would like to install the Fallout 3 disc I purchased a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I do not have access to an external DVD drive and cannot afford to purchase one.

Using what resources I have I made an iso of the main fallout 3 disc on my desktop using daemon tools. Then I went ahead and copied the iso to my laptop, which already had daemon tools installed on it. So I went ahead and created a virtual drive on my laptop and mounted the fallout3.iso to it. Next I right clicked the virtual drive and selected “Install or run program from your media” but then a window popped up saying:
    Please insert the original disc instead of a backup (1000).
    Please have a look at SecuROM for further, more detailed information.

Trying an alternative method I right clicked the fallout drive and clicked “open” than I ran the setup.exe in the drive folder with administrative privileges and the game installed successfully. However, when I went to run the game the exact same exact window above came up telling me to insert the original disc. I found this strange as I’ve never had an issue with running games from virtual drives in the past.

Having been told you can just launch the game directly from the folder the game was installed in, I went ahead and tried launching both Fallout3.exe and FalloutLauncher.exe with administrative privileges but the same exact error window came up again both times. After that failed I went ahead and installed FOMM in hopes of being able to launch the game from FOMM but, once again, the same error message popped up.

I heard that the 1.7 update is supposed to fix the disc requirement issue so I went ahead and downloaded the fallout3_1.7 updater from fallout’s official website (Fallout: Welcome to the Official Site). After running the updater with administrator privileges it updated to 100% and the window closed but then the cursor icon changed to a disc for a couple of seconds and then the same error message came up again.

I’m assuming securom is the issue but I can’t say that with confidence. I find this whole situation ridiculous considering the fact that I legally purchased the game and am unable to play it on my laptop. I’ve been researching this issue over a week and have gotten nowhere. I just want to play Fallout 3 lol…. Does anyone know of any ways to fix this issue? I’d greatly appreciate any help and am able to provide any additional necessary details. Thank you in advance.

The ISO format by itself can't hold the required topology/DPM data.
    You have to create an MDS/MDX image with DAEMON Tools Pro using the New SecuROM profile.

In case your drive isn't capable of measuring the data position you can try the attached mds file.
    Just rename your ISO to Fallout 3.mdf and copy the mds in the same directory.
    Now mount the mds in a virtual SCSI device.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Terramex; 01.12.2013, 15:26.
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Working...
    X