DVD-RAM Drive won't read RW discs, CD/DVD ROM drive gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD-RAM Drive won't read RW discs, CD/DVD ROM drive gone

Hi all. I installed DT Tools Lite, latest version, on my XP box and the symptoms described in the title occurred, plus sometimes there is an additional CD-ROM drive, but it isn't functional. That is, when I insert a DVD, it gets loaded into the DVD-RAM (J) drive and the other CD-ROM is useless because media only loads under the DVD-RAM disc. However, that one is gone at the moment (after a system restore.).

It will read movie DVDs, but not data RW-DVDs that I'd previously created on this same machine.

1. It reads movie DVDs, so the optics are good.

2. The DVDs that I burned myself are good because they're read on other machines.

3. I've tried among several attempts in no particular order:

* MS "Fixit" solution - could not repair

* Manual upper/lower filter removal - no upper/lower filters present under that registry key

* Uninstalled, reinstalled, and delete all virtual drives in Daemon Tools Lite - DVD-RAM still there, but no DVD drive.

* System restore to points before first install of Daemon Tools Lite - DVD-RAM still there, but no DVD drive.

* Re-nstalled Daemon Tools Lite and used it to mount original ISO that I had used it for, unmounted all media, then deleted virtual drive, then unistalled - DVD-RAM still there, but no DVD drive.

* Tried SPTD solution (Registry and SPTD problems | DAEMON Pro Help), fix wouldn't go through.

* Checked in device manager - the only device listed is the original device name, it shows as functioning normally, and checking for recent hardware changes yields nothing.

And a couple of other suggestions that I've found on the Internet as well as searching the forums here.

is there anything new that I might try? It seems to be a not uncommon problem judging by the search results, but no one seems to have a handle on why DT Lite seems to take out people's optical drives and supplants it with zombie DVD-RAM zombies that can't be killed.

TIA for any and all suggestions,

Dave

Please remove DT lite manually as described here & reboot: Removing DAEMON Tools Lite manually | daemon-help.com

Please also open the properties of that DVD-RAM in device manager and post the 'Device Description' and 'Hardware ID' shown under 'Details'.
    Last edited by Terramex; 04.12.2013, 11:31.
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will try the manual uninstaller directions and report the results.

Under "Details" I see this:Click image for larger version

Name:	details.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	193548

Comment

Sorry if i don't fully get the actual issue, but the "DVD-RAM zombie that can't be killed" is a real physical DVD drive.

Originally Posted by dvdrammer View Post
        It will read movie DVDs, but not data RW-DVDs that I'd previously created on this same machine.
        Were those RW-DVDs burned with a packet-writing software ?
        I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
          Sorry if i don't fully get the actual issue, but the "DVD-RAM zombie that can't be killed" is a real physical DVD drive.
          I sort of get that because it does show up when I insert a movie disc, but I've also tried a few different things in addition to your last suggestion of manually uninstalling.

First, on the manually uninstalling, none of the parameters in the step=by-step were present on my machine. i.e., "DTShellHlp.exe" was not in my running processes, there was no DAEMON tools virtual bus" in my device manager (show hidden devices was checked). etc.

I had nothing that was shown in manual uninstall directions which leads me to believe that I had indeed uninstalled all vestiges of DT Lite.

The next thing I tried was to re-install DT Lite and that's when the "zombie" drive shows up. I started and restarted about 9 times yesterday and foirgot to get screens, but when DT Lite is installed it shows *two* drives: A generic CD-drive icon labeled DVD-RAM (J) and a second generic CD drive icon labeled CD-ROM (L), which of course can't do anything.

Also I tried installing and uninstalling SPTD along with DT Lite and various combinations thereof and then I would see the old "DVD-ROM" drive with the little "DVD" sign on the icon like it used to be, but that also is useless since all readable discs are loaded under the DVD-RAM (J) disc.

In summary, following directions here and from SPTD forums, there is absolutely bo trace of either DT Lite or SPTD anywhere - not in registry, bot in processes, no filters, etc. - no nothing.

The only thing that is different is that the previous icon in My Computer which used to say 'DVD-ROM" and had a little "DVD" sign on it has been replaced by the 'DVD-RAM" with generic 'CD-ROM" adn it no longer reads DVDRW discs that it used to be able to read.

So., yes, I do see that the DVD-RAM is my actual drive, but it seems to have eaten or taken the place of my previously normal DVD-ROM drive icon and can't read my burned discs.

Were those RW-DVDs burned with a packet-writing software ?
          The data discs were burned using Nero Express and I did not select the "multiple sessions" option, if that answers your question. The discs show up just fine on a MacBook running OSX as well as my friend's XP box whom I share discs with weekly. I have always "looKed" at the data discs I burned for her to make sure they're complete, but I can no longer access the discs I write.

Lastly, as a test, I burned a data disc using Nero as I have done for years and it burned correctly (reads fine on other machine), but after it checks the burn and mounts, I just see a spinning disc icon on my pointer for a few seconds and then and empty disc.

This is vexing because I haven't changed any routine or any software for weeks if not months aside from DT Lite.

I do very much appreciate your help thus far.

Comment

Please attach/upload a zipped Autoruns arn file (no installation required).

As the forum provides more of an additional/secondary user-to-user support please also contact
            the official support team with reference to this thread.

Comment

Please attach/upload a zipped Autoruns arn file (no installation required).

As the forum provides more of an additional/secondary user-to-user support please also contact
              the official support team with reference to this thread.
              Thanks very much for what you've put into solving this problem so far.

Either I don't have sufficient privileges to use the attachment system or I couldn't figure it out. I've ULed the zipped arn file on one of my hosts. Let me know if this isn't acceptable:

americanlovecross.com/AutoRuns.zip

Thanks again,

Dave

Comment

Don't know if that was part of your issue, but there's a known incompatibility between SPTD and the ZoneAlarm Forcefield function.
                Take a look here for example: http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/ano...ot-loop-30112/

In case you're trying to install again it's maybe worth a try to temporarily disable all non-Microsoft services to narrow down a possible conflict.
                How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
                or https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8043-EUJN-5239

P.S.: personally i have zero experience with that program, but could your zombie drive also be related to PowerISO ?

P.P.S: your upper/lower filters list shouldn't be empty as there are at least two drivers in your Autoruns log: GEARAspiWDM and NTIDrvr
                Last edited by Terramex; 08.12.2013, 15:16.

Comment

Don't know if that was part of your issue, but there's a known incompatibility between SPTD and the ZoneAlarm Forcefield function.
                  Take a look here for example: http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/ano...ot-loop-30112/

In case you're trying to install again it's maybe worth a try to temporarily disable all non-Microsoft services to narrow down a possible conflict.
                  How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
                  or https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8043-EUJN-5239

P.S.: personally i have zero experience with that program, but could your zombie drive also be related to PowerISO ?

P.P.S: your upper/lower filters list shouldn't be empty as there are at least two drivers in your Autoruns log: GEARAspiWDM and NTIDrvr
                  Thanks a bunch. I'll study an that possible Zona Alarm conflict first, then the clean boot.

The upper/lower filters do appear in Device Manager/details, but I was talking about in the registry.

Anyway, I'll let you know how everything goes. thanks again.

Comment

Originally Posted by dvdrammer View Post
                    ...but I was talking about in the registry.
                    I know, and i don't doubt your finding - just saying there "should" be something.

Maybe there are just remains of the GEAR driver. Take a look here how to manually remove them: DRIVERS: Windows - Updating, removing, 64 bit versions, etc - GEAR Software Knowledgebase
                    Don't know about NTIDrv (by New Tech Infosystems Inc) though, sorry

Comment

I know, and i don't doubt your finding - just saying there "should" be something.

Maybe there are just remains of the GEAR driver. Take a look here how to manually remove them: DRIVERS: Windows - Updating, removing, 64 bit versions, etc - GEAR Software Knowledgebase
                      Don't know about NTIDrv (by New Tech Infosystems Inc) though, sorry
                      Okay, the entire problem took and unexpected twist and I'm pretty much through. I'll live with it until I do a format disc and start fresh.

Here's what happened since your last post:

I go into iTunes to burn a disc and I get the "no burning software found" error. Bad news.

I search and find that this is also a tenacious and not-uncommon problem. None of the solutions worked until I stumbled onto a suggestion regarding the "GEARAspiWDM.inf" fix, sort of. Initially it didn't work, so I tried a variation. Then no drives show up in My Computer, but the TSS drive is in Devices.

1. I installed PTS-D (post traumatic stress syndrom- Daemon, then DT Lite, then Gear software (part of the iTunes soultion).

2. After reboot, remove SPTD, remove DT Lite, do the "install GEARAspiWDM.inf" solution,, reboot.

3. There are two drives in Devices - one virtual, one physical. i delete the virtual.

4. Repeat the install GEARAspiWDM.inf and reboot.

5. Am back to the DVD-RAM (J) disc which can't read home-burned DVD-RWs, but iTunes can burn again as can Nero.

The only extra hassle is that I have to check or read DVD-RW discs on a different machine, but I'm officially through.

Thanks once again for all of your suggestions,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X