Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing D-Tools 3.47 makes my HD disappear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing D-Tools 3.47 makes my HD disappear!

Operating System: Windows XP (SP2)
    Burning Software: Nero (6.3.20), CloneCD (4.2.0.2)
    Anti-virus Software: AVG 6
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.33

Had a lot of problems in the last 24 hours with D-Tools.

Basic Setup
    C:\ WD 72G - SATA (Boot HD)
    D:\ WD 120G - IDE
    E:\ Maxtor 160G - IDE

- D-tools was originally installed on D:\
    - tried installing 3.47, had problems.
    - restarted computer and my d:\ drive had disappeared! (Both c:\ and e:\ still existed)
    - Was not able to uninstall D-Tools as it was installed on the D:\ drive!
    - Got it working again, by installing an old version, that was able to 'repair' the old install.
    - Deleted all references (that I could) to "d347bus" and "d347prt" in regedit
    - Installing 3.33 caused a BSOD, but fixed that by removing the Starforce driver

3.33 is now working on my computer and d:\ drive is as it should be.

- When I try and install 3.47 now I get an error
    - - with "d347bus" and "d347prt" defaults set
    - - - error: Some drive has invalid name or conflicts...
    - - with alternative driver names set
    - - - Installs, but D drive disappears.

- Regedit still contains references to "d347bus" and "d347prt", but when I try delete them I get an error message, "Cannot delete x".

Any ideas?

Check thread about error 25002 in common problems and solutions forum.
    Note that the drive letter assignment is made by Windows, so if Daemon Tools virtual devices get a drive letter that was assigned to your hdd, you probably face the Windows bug, where a drive letter is assigned over already existing mapping.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

thanks for the reply Copytrooper.

I did indeed search the common questions and solutions forum. With its help I was able to get things mostly working again.

But, after following the Error 25002, or how to remove Daemon drivers instructions and deleting all references that I could to d347bus. I am still unable to,

- Install 3.47 (get error messge described in 1st post)
      - delete all references to d347bus / d347prt.

Checking device manager shows no signs of D-Tools drives or a reference to PnP. Is there another way of deleting the d347bus keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es ? As I mentioned I get an error message when I try it now.

Comment

Check with regedt32 if you've permissions needed.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

thanks for the tip.

I did that and was indeed able to delete the last references.

I then restarted and tried reinstalling, eventually was able to install* but my HD disappeared. D-Tools had made a CD drive labled D.

I rename D-Tools CD drive to T and restarted. My HD did not come back (D-Tools drive remained labled T). I uninstalled D-Tools and HD came back. I am able to get 3.33 working (and my HD stays in place).

* during the install I got the error reporting a drive name clash, in order to get it to work I called the drivers "ad347bus" and not the defaul d347bus.

Comment

Working...
          X