• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt/locked SPTD.sys

Hi,

I have a problem and need help.

First of all
    I'm using windows 7, Home premium, service pack 1, x64 bit, 8 GB memory RAM.

The problem starts several days ago, my daemon tools shows an error message when I try to mount an image:

"This program needs at least Windows 2000 with SPTD 1.51 or higher Kernel debugger must be deactivated"

Note:
    I have read the SPTD FAQs and some other similar case in the forum. None would help in my case.

Also I did not install anything prior this error, so there shouldn't be any changes made voluntarily by me.

As shown in the picture above, the installer did not detect any SPTD, however you can see, the file is still visible.

Reinstalling the standalone installer will show the same error message as if I install SPTD along with daemon tool.

"system file write error. Disable possible antivirus applications."

This is the x64 installer. Tried x32 too, but wrong version.

Note: the Daemon tool installed perfectly, the problem is when I try to mount an image.

I do not have any antivirus, windows defender turned off.

Last time formatted was 10-11 months ago and never did install any anti virus software.

I have been using daemon tools for months, probably since laptop last formatted.

The daemon tools stop working suddenly. I didn't recall installing anything prior. I think the problem occur due to sudden electricity lost when an image is still mounted and causes a corrupt file of SPTD.sys.

I drawn to the conclusion this is a corrupted file due to sudden computer shut down (lost electricity). Because the following things I have tried:

- I never installed any antivirus software since the clean format. This error message before I install malwarebytes with bit defender turned off.

- Installed and Scanned with malwarebytes, result: clean

- Scan with malwarebytes, emulation disabled with defogger, result: clean

- Daemon tools installed or uninstalled, problem persists. Still can't install the SPTD due to old SPTD file is locked (I cannot rename / delete)

- Requires my permission to delete this file. I am the admin and the only user of this laptop. Changing permission (nothing needed to be changed actually since I am the sole user and admin of this laptop) still keeps denying my access to delete it, even I have 'checked full control' checkbox of the file.

- In Computer management > system tools > Event viewer. The SPTD.sys is listed under error category : "Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for ."

Update --> Up to date.

Uninstall --> Will be reinstalled automatically when the next time I run daemon tool. And will show the same error.

I do not see any troubleshoot button.

I did try uninstall/delete the file and registry in safe mode. Problem persists as if it's not in safe mode.

- in SPTD FAQs, written :
    Find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ Services\sptd" registry key in REGEDIT and set DWORD Start value to 4 (i.e. disabled).

I did not need to do that since when I opened the registry, the value already shown as 4.

I can delete the registry in normal mode and safe mode without a problem. I can set the permission. But the next time I open regedit, the SPTD is back on the registry as if I did nothing. The file: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\SPTD.sys still exist.

- Tried to use fileassassin from malwarebytes. It says it cannot delete the file or the file is not visible to fileassassin.

- Tried LockHunter software (if anyone familiar). Showed this:

And cannot be deleted in the next system restart.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

Hallo, and welcome to the forums.

If you like, please attach/upload a zipped Autoruns arn file (no installation required).

As the forum provides more of an additional/secondary user-to-user support
    please also contact the official support team with reference to this thread.

To be honest i doubt this will make a difference, but you can also try this removal tool: Alcohol Soft Product Support
    Last edited by Terramex; 13.03.2014, 20:34.
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

Here's the zip you asked,

http://www.filedropper.com/autoruns
      Sorry, forum attachment isn't working. Clicking "add files" will take me to homepage of this forum. Perhaps because I'm using internet explorer.

And yes, the alchohol SPTD remover says unable to delete sptd.sys file.

Thanks

Comment

I'm not part of the support team, so that's just the way i would proceed.

Manually delete upper/lower filter entries as described here (Resolution) and reboot:
        The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that is running Windows Vista (also works on Windows XP/7/8/8.1).

Remove any remains of DT lite manually as described here: Removing DAEMON Tools Lite manually | daemon-help.com

If still present delete this regkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\dtsoftbus01
        Reboot, and also delete C:\ProgramData\DAEMON Tools Lite.

After that download and boot with Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10, open its Registry Editor.
        Delete Windows 7 Service Pack 1\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services \sptd

Open the Kaspersky File Manager and delete sptd.sys in %windir\system32\drivers.

Boot into Windows and check SPTD status.
        I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Thank you,

Following the steps you mentioned, now waiting for if I have the chance to burn the Kaspersky rescue disk since it's .iso file.

Will reply later once finished

Comment

Alternatively you can try the Kaspersky USB Rescue Disk Maker: How to record Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 to an USB device and boot my computer from it?

Comment

Hi,

Now All SPTD gone, not detected, not found in registry. The Kaspersky rescue disk works.

But installing SPTD still shows an error message "system file write error. Disable possible antivirus applications."
              Even with Malwarebyte uninstalled. (I have no other antivirus installed).

What should I do now?

Thanks

Comment

Please try to install SPTD in Safe Mode.

Comment

Cannot install in sage mode too.

"system file write error. Disable possible antivirus applications."

Is there a way to check what system/program interfering with the installation?

Thanks

Comment

As a last-ditch attempt try to temporarily disable all non-Microsoft services to narrow down a possible conflict.
                    Though i have to admit there's no big difference to Safe Mode.
                    How to perform a clean boot in Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
                    or https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8043-EUJN-5239

btw. also found this by the Master Chief: http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f19/spt...53/#post135863
                    I can't pin that down, but your Autoruns log looks kind of screwed to me with all the "file not found" entries.
                    Last edited by Terramex; 25.03.2014, 11:24.

Comment

I did the clean reboot, still showing "system file write error. Disable possible antivirus applications."

Perhaps it's time to do re-format

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X