Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Compatibility Between Daemon Tools Versions

Hi,

Does anybody knows if there's a way to convert MDS images created with newer versions of Daemon Tools in a file format compatible with older releases?

I've built a very small cdrom-less retropc, useful to play some old games on their original environment; specifically using Windows 98.

My original idea was to rip my games using Daemon Tools Pro (5.02.0348) on my modern desktop, store most games inside a network drive as MDS images, and mount them using the extremely ancient 3.47 release from the retropc system.

Unfortunately it seems that the MDS file format has changed somewhere in time, because the old version of Daemon Tools can't open the newly made images. Unfortunately I haven't found any information about those changes inside the DT changelog.

Is there a way to convert them? Like, just by hex-editing the version number of the header?
    Or, In case I have to re-rip all my games (aaaargh...), does anybody knows which is the most recent version of Daemon Tools Pro which still supports the older format? To rip my games I'm using Windows 7 SP1 32-bit, by the way.

I'm afraid that simple hex-editing won't work out, but i have to ask a dev.
    Afaik the initial release of DAEMON Tools Pro already used the new MDS standard v2.

I don't know whether or not there's a conversion tool which keeps all relevant attributes.

If you have to re-rip you can try the attached portable Alcohol 52% FE version, which still uses MDS v1.
    I've extracted the required files from the Installer, and just renamed the main exe to bypass the compatibility error message.
    Of course the usage creates some registry entries, but they're negligible and can be easily deleted by hand.
    I would not try to create virtual drives though.

Also it might be sufficient for most older titles to just mount your existing MDS images in the virtual SCSI drive of DT lite and use this as source in Alcohol.

EDIT: added a reg file to remove the registry entries (except 1 in HKEY_USERS), rename extension to *.reg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Terramex; 25.03.2014, 19:03.
    I'm not employed by Disc Soft and my views do not necessarily reflect the ones of the company.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terramex View Post
      I'm afraid that simple hex-editing won't work out, but i have to ask a dev.
      Afaik the initial release of DAEMON Tools Pro already used the new MDS standard v2.

I don't know whether or not there's a conversion tool which keeps all relevant attributes.

If you have to re-rip you can try the attached portable Alcohol 52% FE version.
      Thanks, It works great!

Also it might be sufficient for most older titles to just mount your existing MDS images in the virtual SCSI drive of DT lite and use this as source in Alcohol.
      I hope so, I'd rather not wear out a DVD Drive ripping ~1000 cds again. I also remember having some problems ripping some games using non-redbook standard (Mixed Mode, Bluebook CD+) with newer drives, mainly early Sega Ports from the '90s.

Comment

Working...
      X