please help newbie (aka 'idiot') understand how virtual cd works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help newbie (aka 'idiot') understand how virtual cd works

I have purchased an embroidery machine (used) from a gentleman and he installed the software necessary to use the machine on my laptop. he didn't leave me any cds. he sells lots of used machines, and I guess he usually just installs the software from a master set that he has.

he used a virtual cd program of some kind (never heard of 'virtual cds' before this) to put the program info on the hard drive because when you install the program and then click the icon to run it, it says the program cd must be in the cdrom drive ...works great on my laptop, I don't get the message, but I tried to copy and install it to my desktop and ran into trouble.

I would like to copy the program to my desktop computer so that I can use my desktop when home instead of having to power up the laptop. I thought this would work...

I copied the all the files in the 'new' drive on my laptop (from win explorer) to a thumb drive and carried it to my desktop - then used the thumb to install the program. Then I burned a basic data cd, using roxio cd creator, from the info on the thumb drive and tried to use the cd created to run the program...doesn't work. the cd just starts the installation screen every time I put it in the cd drive on my desktop and even after I cancel/close the installation and then try to open the program, it's still asking for the program cd. did I copy the wrong thing to the disk? there's program info on the laptop under c://programs but it's the same stuff that's already on the desktop under c;//programs from installing it, so I figured what was contained in the 'new' d:// drive that looks like a cd is already loaded in it (has name of the software maker is out beside D:// on explorer tree) must be what the desktop needed to run the program...

I didn't see everything he was doing as he installed this stuff. I am not sure what info I need to make a cd that will run the program intalled on the desktop but figure all the info has to be on the laptop somewhere because the program works on the laptop. Is there any way to work around this problem without having to ask him to redo everything for my desktop pc? - and the problem there is that he said the virtual cd program (not sure which one he used) on a disk he had isn't compatible with WIN XP - so, if I download Daemon-Tools, would this work on my WIN XP desktop in place of the virtual cd program he used for my WIN 98SE laptop?

I don't understand why the cd I burned that contains the files he placed in the new "D" drive on my laptop doesn't work the program. If I download Daemon-Tools and install it, can I copy/paste the info on the thumb drive to Daemon-Tools and get the program to work? If the cd he has with the program on it is copy-protected, is this why trying to copy/paste isn't working? If the hangup is copy protected software, is there a program that would allow him to make a copy of the software cd/cds that he has so that I would be able to have an actual CD that I could just place in the drive when it asks for it? this might be so much easier for me to understand.

sorry this is so long but I'm having a hard time understanding how all of this virtual drive/virtual cd stuff works. i'd never heard of it before he installed it on the laptop so that the software would run.

thanks for any info anyone can provide. I would love to understand how this stuff works, and where I went wrong.

Hi,

I would like to copy the program to my desktop computer so that I can use my desktop when home instead of having to power up the laptop.
    You mean the program, that creates the Virtual Drive ??
    Sorry, mate.... this APP has to be INSTALLED (if you mean Tools like DaemonTools, VirtualCD...)

then used the thumb to install the program. Then I burned a basic data cd, using roxio cd creator, from the info on the thumb drive and tried to use the cd created to run the program...doesn't work.
    Again: Installed and Copied Files ARE not the same like the Stuff on a CD ROOT. :mrgreen:

it's still asking for the program cd.
    Pls....make it short ... WHAT Program/Game you're talking about ??
    And what exactly you wanna do ??

- Copy a Program
    - RIP a Game CD
    - Move over installed Stuff form your LapTop to your Desktop
    - or .... :?

Regards

Comment

sorry about confusion and rambling on

:oops: guy installed software called "Dakota Alphasizer" on my WIN 98SE laptop using 'Virtual CD vers. 1.0' (which is too old to work on XP) to make Alphasizer think the necessary program disk is always in a drive - he didn't leave any disks with me containing the Alphasizer program.

Alphasizer doesn't run without the program cd in a drive.

I would like to be able to run Alphasizer on my WIN XP desktop computer. Is there anything I can do to move Alphasizer from my laptop to my desktop?

At the least, if I install Daemon Tools and get the Alphasizer disk from the guy, can I load the program on my XP desktop computer like he loaded it on the 98SE laptop?

Thanks.

Comment

Well, I think your Problem is: you've got NO ISO from the program !!!

if I install Daemon Tools and get the Alphasizer disk from the guy, can I load the program on my XP desktop computer like he loaded it on the 98SE laptop?
        :idea: That's it .... and should work.

BTW.: What is this for a "guy" ...selling you a PC with absolutley NO Discs ....and only installed Apps..... :roll:

I can do to move Alphasizer from my laptop to my desktop?
        Hm, I think no .... but I don't know the program. It sounds like soft, that need to be installed .... either you need the CD to start it. So it's not really neccessary if the "movement" will work or not !!

Greets

Comment

thanks for trying to help

guy didn't sell me the laptop, it was mine

he sold me a commercial embroidery machine and installed the software used to run it on my laptop

I was trying to get that software from the laptop to the desktop, but I can call and ask him to bring the disk back next time he's coming my way and then, hopefully, copy it

then i'll have the disk to put in the drive when the program asks for it

Comment

Working...
          X