PDA

View Full Version : One really screwed uninstallation

Erdan
08.11.2004, 02:28
Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
Burning Software: CloneCD 3.3.4.1, CD Mate Deluxe Version 2.5.4 Build 17, Nero 5.5.9.9
Anti-virus Software: McAfee Professional 7.03
DAEMON Tools Version: DAEMON Tools 3.47

Hello,

I have a major problem. After installing the Sims 2, it recognized the Daemon Tools emulation and refused to start, so I uninstalled D-Tools. The problem is, I had changed the letter of some drives, so as to have a virtual drive with the letter E. I think that, because of this, when I uninstalled D-Tools, Windows refused to dismount the drive E.

Now, the problem is, whenever I try to re-install D-Tools, Windows crashes and tells me it recovered from a major error. I've already tried the solutions in the forum to manually uninstall D-Tools, and I've already changed the drive letter to G, AND uninstaled it, but it's still there, and the setup keeps crashing windows.

The solution seems to be installing D-tools and then removing the virtual drive with it... Ironic, isn't it?

Can you help me in some way?

JariK-Tietomedia
08.11.2004, 13:37
You can remove the virtual drive manually by editing the registry - but if you're not sure how to don't even try without backing up the complete registry first!

A more beginner-friendly solution can be found at the common problems and solutions section, follow the steps for removing daemon tools completely EXACTLY - I tested those instructions on three different computers and every time they worked.

Erdan
08.11.2004, 16:03
I already deleted the entries from the registry AND followed the other instructions exactly.

The problem is, every time I try to install D-Tools, the virtual drive reappears, which causes Windows to crash.

JariK-Tietomedia
08.11.2004, 16:14
Have you tried other virtual drive programs?
If the phantom drive is still there then you haven't removed Daemon completely, try the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES = 1 trick and look under "non-plug and play devices".

Also, please post the exact error message you get when Windows crashes, disable the automatic reboot so you can see the BSOD.

Copytrooper
08.11.2004, 16:15
Check if you've minidump related to such crash (in Windows\Minidump folder), if so send newest file to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread.

Erdan
08.11.2004, 23:26
Copytrooper: I sent the e-mail with the minidump.

JariK: Do me a favor. Talk to me like I'm four years old. :mrgreen:
What's the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES = 1 trick, how do I disable the automatic reboot and what's BSOD? :oops: