Bundling Daemon-Tools with 3. Party tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bundling Daemon-Tools with 3. Party tools

First Daemon tools is really great, but lacks a few features I would like to ad. As I know the authors have no time to do it and there are existing great third party tools for that I would suggest and ask if some of them could be bundlet with daemon tools?

If it is not possible please explain in a few lines if it is just time or permissions or other problems

Thanks

Bundling has been suggested before. However, this would increase the overall size of the download. Plus, not everyone likes a certain addon. Right now, the focus of dameon-tools is to emulate copy protections, thus allowing legal backing up of cds to continue.

As for adding more features, you can email swenske and ask for daemonapi. If you aren't a developer yourself, just post your ideas and maybe someone will implement them

Comment

I know it would increase the size, but it is very small and if you ad the best one or three 3. party tool it would be still smaller than 1 MB and that should be no problem for every modem.

And you can make something that you can select what to install or make a simple and small version and an advanced one. I can't see any problem.

Could I suggest a poll or something what other user think about it?
      I think by adding third party tools we could make daemon tools more user friendly

Comment

well, if you want to make a bundled version, just ask venom or swenske for permission, make this bundle, and email swenske, and he may post it on the main site.

but i don't think any such bundling will be done by venom, as he has more important things to worry about (like blacklistings).

Comment

As I said, I know he has many things to do and no time, I first wanted to ask what he thinks about.

I'm sorry, Im no developer and can't do it myself, but there are many third party developer, I'm sure one of those would do it.

Well, lets wait what venom and svenske say

Comment

IMHO, traffic on our site is so huge, that it would be better if you made such bundle yourself and put it on any site of your choice.;-)

Comment

As I wrote above, I'm no developer, it is just my wish do do it (maybe with help of some other people). If the filesize is your only problem would you authorise me to do this? How about distributing it on a P2P net like Kazaa or on an other network?

How about a contest for a new Icon? I still think the icon of DT 1 was the best, the current icon isn't bad, I only think it could be better.

Thanks

Comment

First of all, there are not that many 3rd part addons. Second, many of these addons have 'died' from lack of updating.

Exactly what addons were you considering?

Comment

You don't need many addons for daemon-tools, its a good program as is, but there are some good tools that can make it even better.

Could I get a permission to try to make a bundled version?

Comment

What features you want exactly?

Comment

I want that you can mount an image from explorer (shell).
                      I want to change mounted images via hotkeys (for multi disc games)
                      I think a gui would be good, with a list of the latest mounted images
                      Multi language support for daemon tools (not for me, but would be fine)

And any other good feature I have forgot to mention.

Comment

I want that you can mount an image from explorer (shell)
                        Almost all the 3rd party gui's add this feature
                        I want to change mounted images via hotkeys (for multi disc games)[
                        This program exists (don't know the name though)
                        I think a gui would be good, with a list of the latest mounted images
                        Venom would have to add some kind of support for remembering images (through registry). Otherwise if you mounted via trayicon, other program would not 'know' about this
                        Multi language support for daemon tools (not for me, but would be fine)
                        I believe this already exists in d-tools, but 'official' languages have not been release afaik.

Comment

I know that all features are covered by 3. Party tools, thats why I would like to bundle DT with these tools. It would improve DT a lot and its not much work because the tools exist already.

Comment

We'll discuss this, and maybe we'll make separate downloads for this later.

Comment

Thanks very much

Comment

Working...
                              X