• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real drives shown as old virtual drives

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
    Burning Software: Nero, CDRWIN
    Anti-virus Software: NOD32
    DAEMON Tools Version: Latest

After installing a new hard drive and mapping it to a letter that was previously a daemon tools virtual drive, it now shows up with the optical icon.

It seems that all drive letters that were previously virtual cd roms, continue to show those icons regardless of what kind of drive it is.

Heres a screenshot. http://home.comcast.net/~rjforbes/huh.JPG

Drive G: was previously used by a virtual drive. Also drive F: was used by a virtual drive before too. It should say DVD-ROM but uses the icon that it had used with daemon tools.

When I set the letter to one that was never used by a virtual drive, it shows the correct icon.

You can delete the old conflicting device mappings directly from registry but don't try if you're not sure what to remove and what to leave alone =)

Other solution would be to use the DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES trick (google if you haven't heard from it) and first temporalily remove all mappings from the problematic letters, then remove all non-present devices under Device Manager -> storage volumes, CD/DVD drives and disk drives. Then reboot for good measure and change drive letter mappings back and the problem is fixed.
    Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

Ive tried deleting the nonpresent devices already. I'll give it a shot again using your instructions.

I will love you if it works.

Should I map the drives to another letter that hasn't been used by d-tools? Or just remove the mapping completely and leave it hidden?

Comment

Unfortunately, it didn't work.

Could you explain how I would do it using the registry?

Comment

Working...
        X