Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems between Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems between Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%??

Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP2
    Burning Software: Nero 5.5.8.13
    Anti-virus Software: AVG Free 7.0.298
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Hello, I was just wondering if installing Alcohol 120% will mess up Daemon Tools, and if so, if there is a way to get around any potential problems so I can have both. Thanks.

why do you think there could be a problem? Did you run into trouble?

Comment

No sir, haven't installed it, I thought I remembered a post on here somewhere about Alcohol and a possible compatibility issue, I was just wondering if I am remembering correctly before installing it. I don't want to keep messing everything up. Also, during the Alcohol installation it asks to assign the bus driver name and the miniport driver name and the default names in the boxes are a347bus and a347scsi. I recognize 347 as the same driver names used when installing the latest version of Daemon Tools, so I was wondering if this would cause any kind of conflict before I install anything.

Comment

No, Daemon Tools default driver names are d347... :wink: thus no conflict.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

oooohhhhhhh, d for daemon and a for alcohol, so why did alcohol bite the 347 number?? I thought that was the version number of daemon tools, but I guess it's just some default number...

Thanks!

Comment

Similar problem...

I have had hardware conflicts with my SATA & SCSI controllers, and had thought it was Daemon causing the problem because I also was confused between the A347 vs. D347 thing.

I uninstalled & reinstalled Daemon several times to no effect and was blaming Daemon for the problems. Suspected Daemon of leaving bad reg entries behind.

Just now discovered the culprit is Alcohol, which I removed several weeks ago. Currently searching for "A347scsi" entires in the Registry for deletion.

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy Brethren
              Just now discovered the culprit is Alcohol, which I removed several weeks ago. Currently searching for "A347scsi" entires in the Registry for deletion.
              Can you elaborate on your comment and explain your findings as to what actualy caused the problem and how you came to the conclusion ??

Oh and a347scsi has not been used in Alcohol since version numbers 1.9.2.1705, 1.9.5.2722 1.9.5.2802 and is simple to locate and remove

Start Regedit then go to HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es here you should find the Keys for the Alcohol Driver a347scsi and a347bus

Comment

If you had a more recent version of Alcohol installed that used SPTD, search for vaxscsi instead (no bus file as it was replaced by SPTD).

Comment

If you had a more recent version of Alcohol installed that used SPTD, search for vaxscsi instead (no bus file as it was replaced by SPTD).
                  I found the A347* files by using RegSeekers search function, & deleted the keys. I did not find any Reg Entries with "SPTD", so I assume the Alcohol version was old.

Can you elaborate on your comment and explain your findings as to what actualy caused the problem and how you came to the conclusion ??
                  I've got no "hard" technical evidence, but the progression of events led me to this conclusion.

I had been using my system for some time with no problem, then installed & used Alcohol. Uninstalled it after I discovered that I could use Daemon Tools to mount images as a virtual drive (Alcohol's primary purpose for being on my system).

After Daemon "proved itself", I uninstalled Alcohol and the system worked for a time with no problem.

At some point, Windows update wanted to update a driver. I *think* it might have been a "A347" driver, but can't say for sure because I did a lot of things after this point; too numerous to detail with any accuracy.

But I knew the hardware was fine, and did not believe that Win Update would put out a bad driver for that, so I immediately suspected Daemon and started uninstalling & reinstalling it.

When it was uninstalled, there was no Driver Conflict, but if I re-installed and then ran Windows Update, it wanted to replace a SCSI driver.

If I didn't do the Update, everything was fine. But if I did the SCSI driver update, I got the hardware conflict again. So... back to uninstalling Daemon (and sometimes everything else) and eventually coming back to the same point where I couldn't allow Windows Update to "update" the driver without having a problem, IF Daemon was installed. (It worked fine if Daemon was uninstalled.

During this time, I assumed every mention of "A347" was Daemon, and troubleshot the problem from that perspective. When I learned A347 was Alcohol, I started combing through the registry deleting remnants of Alcohol's installation.

Once I got Alcohol completely off my system, I could run Daemon just fine, and Windows Update didn't give me anymore trouble.

Sorry I can't be more precise in my recollection, but this is the general "gist" of it.

Great product, very happy Daemon user. Thanks.

Comment

a347scsi hasn't been used for some time, so that version is well over a year old, possibly close to 2 years old. That's probably why you had so many problems.

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy Brethren
                      ...but can't say for sure because I did a lot of things after this point; too numerous to detail with any accuracy.
                      well there you go....

Comment

Originally Posted by Jito463
                        a347scsi hasn't been used for some time, so that version is well over a year old, possibly close to 2 years old. That's probably why you had so many problems.
                        exactly, so i was thinking if a trial version from back then (when that last version to use those drivers came out) then surely the 31 days have long expired by now. and if a customer they would have upgraded to the latest version free.... so hmmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                        X