PDA

View Full Version : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD after installing SPTD driver on Windows 8.1

b_n3gativ3
18.01.2017, 15:53
Hello everyone,

I get BSOD with the above-mentioned error immediately after the restart which is required in order for the SPTD driver to take effect.
I use:
Windows 8.1 Enterprise with Update (x64) - DVD (English)
File Name: en_windows_8.1_enterprise_with_update_x64_dvd_6054 382.iso
SHA1: B7DD748446D89B9449A160CDC24BD282989BBD96
and also last available versions of DAEMON Tools Ultra and the SPTD driver.

I would like to request a MODERATOR to resolve this issue !

Thanks in advance for your attention !

SUPPORT1
19.01.2017, 12:59
Hello,

Can you share the dump file?

b_n3gativ3
19.01.2017, 14:27
Hello,

Can you share the dump file?

Where I can find this file ?

SUPPORT1
20.01.2017, 09:52
The dump file location is C:\windows\Minidump.

If the file doesn't exist then setup your system to record it:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press EnterClick on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information, header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box

b_n3gativ3
23.01.2017, 15:23
The dump file location is C:\windows\Minidump.

If the file doesn't exist then setup your system to record it:
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press EnterClick on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information, header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box

There is no such file in C:\Windows. I tried without setting sysdm.cpl to record it and then with setting it but unfortunately the result is the same. What I did is clean install of Windows then I installed all the necessary drivers and finally I installed DAEMON Tools Ultra 5 with the latest SPTD driver to cause the BSOD but I do not get a Minidump file after the BSOD occurs.

b_n3gativ3
23.01.2017, 16:15
I think I found out why I do not have this file. Simply because after I get this (https://www.eightforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/57831d1423642761t-windows-8-1-bsod-sort-20150211_075131.jpg) error message I do not get a blue screen for example like this (http://cdn5.windowswally.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled-Cover-BSoD-Windows-Wally.jpg) one. Whatever I do I get only the error message without the BSOD. Maybe If the error message switches into a BSOD then I will have this file. Sorry for misleading you but I thought that this error message is actually the BSOD on Windows 8.1... Any suggestions ?

SUPPORT1
24.01.2017, 09:36
Hello,

Please also try to remove SPTD from a system using an application SPTDinst (C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Ultra). Reboot a PC and try reproduce the problem.

b_n3gativ3
24.01.2017, 11:00
Hello,

Please also try to remove SPTD from a system using an application SPTDinst (C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools Ultra). Reboot a PC and try reproduce the problem.

I cannot remove it because when I run SPTDinst I have install button only probably because the driver was not installed properly as It required a restart for the changes to take effect but when I restart I got the above-mentioned error message.

Terramex
25.01.2017, 14:04
Does this sptd key exists ? If so, what's the 'Start' value on the right ?

b_n3gativ3
26.01.2017, 01:04
Does this sptd key exists ? If so, what's the 'Start' value on the right ?

Terramex
26.01.2017, 09:01
Is your system set up to write debugging information at all ?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542953(v=vs.85).aspx

Have you installed SPTD 1.89 or 2.11 (which is only for Win10) ?

P.S.: To disable SPTD double-click the DWORD value named 'Start' on the right and change the 'Value data' to 4.

b_n3gativ3
26.01.2017, 16:29
Is your system set up to write debugging information at all ?
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff542953(v=vs.85).aspx

Have you installed SPTD 1.89 or 2.11 (which is only for Win10) ?

P.S.: To disable SPTD double-click the DWORD value named 'Start' on the right and change the 'Value data' to 4.

Yes, it is.

There is no such file in C:\Windows. I tried without setting sysdm.cpl to record it and then with setting it but unfortunately the result is the same. What I did is clean install of Windows then I installed all the necessary drivers and finally I installed DAEMON Tools Ultra 5 with the latest SPTD driver to cause the BSOD but I do not get a Minidump file after the BSOD occurs.

I think I found out why I do not have this file. Simply because after I get this (https://www.eightforums.com/attachments/bsod-crashes-debugging/57831d1423642761t-windows-8-1-bsod-sort-20150211_075131.jpg) error message I do not get a blue screen for example like this (http://cdn5.windowswally.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled-Cover-BSoD-Windows-Wally.jpg) one. Whatever I do I get only the error message without the BSOD. Maybe If the error message switches into a BSOD then I will have this file. Sorry for misleading you but I thought that this error message is actually the BSOD on Windows 8.1... Any suggestions ?

I have installed SPTD v1.89 X64 (64 bit). I don't want to disable it. I want to fix it in order to use it. "Mount an image to Physical device" feature requires this driver and I need this feature. Otherwise I will do clean install of Windows for some 15 minutes and use the program I want with its original disc without making it a backup copy. Unfortunately this will lead to wearing out the disc but anyway it is an option.

Terramex
26.01.2017, 19:08
I've only mentioned the disable method so you can manually remove the sptd.sys and the mentioned registry Key.
After a reboot you could try a new SPTD Installation.

And btw. what you see is just the "new" bluescreen without details.
To change that have a look here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2929742/stop-error-information-isn-t-displayed-on-the-blue-screen-in-windows

b_n3gativ3
28.01.2017, 01:42
I've only mentioned the disable method so you can manually remove the sptd.sys and the mentioned registry Key.
After a reboot you could try a new SPTD Installation.

And btw. what you see is just the "new" bluescreen without details.
To change that have a look here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2929742/stop-error-information-isn-t-displayed-on-the-blue-screen-in-windows

Is it possible to fix this BSOD If I update Windows ? This happens on clean install. Will the situation be different on fully updated Windows ?

Terramex
28.01.2017, 10:13
It would be worth a try.
Either way, I would Install that hotfix and edit the registry as described in the Microsoft link above.
That way you get a better crash analysis.

b_n3gativ3
28.01.2017, 18:37
It would be worth a try.
Either way, I would Install that hotfix and edit the registry as described in the Microsoft link above.
That way you get a better crash analysis.

I gave up on this. Today I did clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (x64). I installed DAEMON Tools Ultra and the SPTD driver and there was no BSOD like before but unfortunately when I tried to mount to psysical drive It gave me the error "Can't attach to non-ATAPI device" on DAEMON Tools Ultra 5 and "No devices were found" on version 4.1.0 (I tried both versions).
Any ideas how to fix this ?

Terramex
30.01.2017, 12:01
Which motherboard do you have ?

Do you have ImgBurn installed ?
If not, please download from here and install: MajorGeeks.Com - MajorGeeks (http://www.majorgeeks.com/index.php?ct=files&action=download&)

Run ImgBurn, choose any mode (e.g. Discovery), select your optical drive under 'Destination', then open Tools/Drive -> Family Tree
Which controller & driver is listed in the Family Tree window ?

b_n3gativ3
30.01.2017, 13:22
Which motherboard do you have ?

Which controller & driver is listed in the Family Tree window ?

1803 <-- This is after I deleted Daemon Tools Ultra 5 and its SPTD driver with Revo Uninstaller Pro

Terramex
30.01.2017, 23:43
We need a tracing log of your system.
Official support will get in touch with you and will give you instructions and a download link for the tracing tool.

SUPPORT1
31.01.2017, 09:21
Hello,

It gave me the error "Can't attach to non-ATAPI device" on DAEMON Tools Ultra 5 and "No devices were found" on version 4.1.0 (I tried both versions).
Any ideas how to fix this? - Yes, we need trace a boot logs regarding this issue. Maybe SPTD doesn't detect correctly the device connection. Please mail on support-eml@disc-soft.com

b_n3gativ3
02.02.2017, 20:03
Hello,

It gave me the error "Can't attach to non-ATAPI device" on DAEMON Tools Ultra 5 and "No devices were found" on version 4.1.0 (I tried both versions).
Any ideas how to fix this? - Yes, we need trace a boot logs regarding this issue. Maybe SPTD doesn't detect correctly the device connection. Please mail on support-eml@disc-soft.com

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting our support team.

The mount to physical device feature don't work with non-ATAPI devices.
Please specify what Windows OS? Please also specify the SPTD version that installed.

Can you also tell what controller is used to your CD-ROM? You see it please go to Device manager - DVD\CD-ROM drivers. Select your optical drive and go to View - Devices by connection where you can see the connection type (as example look at screenshots):

Here is how the situation looks like on my PC:

I still cannot understand what is wrong and why I get this freaking message "No devices were found"... Maybe the CD-ROM should be connected to ATA Channel 0 not 1. I don't know...
Please, help me fix this issue !

SUPPORT1
03.02.2017, 06:59
Hello,

We sent you required steps yesterday. Have you got it? In case no please provide another email for correspondence. Also please check the SPAM folder, the replies might be accidentally forwarded to a SPAM folder.

b_n3gativ3
03.02.2017, 08:38
Hello,

We sent you required steps yesterday. Have you got it? In case no please provide another email for correspondence. Also please check the SPAM folder, the replies might be accidentally forwarded to a SPAM folder.

I didn't receive anything. Could you please resend your reply ?