Mount Network Share as Virtual Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount Network Share as Virtual Hard Drive

This may seem a bit confusing, so give me a chance to explain.

First, I know that Daemon Tools can mount an image that's on a network.
    Next, I can't just map a network drive for what I need.

What I am looking for is a program that will mount a shared network folder as a virtual hard drive, much the same way that Daemon Tools creates a virtual DVD-ROM that the computer treats as a REAL drive.

Why?
    I installed an application as a service using srvany.exe so that it will always be running even if no one logs into the computer after a fresh startup, or even after someone has logged off. Since I need to be able ot interact with this application from time to time, it MUST be run under the LocalSystem account for it to show up on the desktop. The LocalSystem account does not have network access. This program MUST be able to access a shared folder on the network. A mapped drive is not mapped when no one is logged in. Even if it were, LocalSystem can't even access mapped drives.

Now, I know Daemon Tools can't do this. And I am not suggesting this as a feature of Daemon Tools. This is why I've posted this in the Off Topic forum.

So, why did I come to these forums to ask about this? Because Daemon Tools emulates a DVD-ROM, and the computer treats it as if it were real. I was hoping someone around here might know of a program that does the same for hard drives, and supports network paths. The program that mounts this folder can obviously run as a different user that has network access.

-Themicles

hope, iґve gotten you right. have you tried starport/starwind? donґt really know whether that suits your needs, but ...
    Mounty Bob strikes back

Comment

If anyone out there knows of a program that will do what I described above, I'd be very interested in finding out about it.

If anyone out there thinks they might be able to take a swing at this, I think it'd be pretty useful.

Just as LocalSystem can access database servers on a network through an ODBC interface, this would be nice for allowing LocalSystem to access files on file servers.

-Themicles

Comment

Originally Posted by CongoMan
        hope, iґve gotten you right. have you tried starport/starwind? donґt really know whether that suits your needs, but ...
        Heh, posted as I was just typing that last post.

No, I haven't. Have a link to a website? Something tells me that Google isn't going to give me what you're talking about, with that name. heh

EDIT: Much to my surprise, I did manage to find it. I'll check back here once I've tried it. Thanks much for pointing me in this direction. I hope it works.

-Themicles

Comment

You can find it in OUR downloadsection

Comment

Originally Posted by Themicles View Post
            I'll check back here once I've tried it. Thanks much for pointing me in this direction. I hope it works.
            -Themicles
            Hi!

Did you manage to achieve this?
            I'm in the very same situation here.

I need a tool (which works as a windows service) that can connect to a network-share and emulate an hard-disk out of it!

I've been searching on Google for several hours, reviewed a lot of projects on sourceforge.net, but found nothing useful.

Comment

VMWare vmware-mount.exe mounts virtual disks as local drives even on a network. Unfortunately some apps aren't fooled by it, because it gives you a drive letter but no real volume. Virtual Server vhdmount.exe mounts VHD files as volumes which you can assign a drive letter to, but won't mount them if they're on the network. The most convoluted thing in the world I've tried, which worked, was to mount a VMDK file off the network. Inside the VMDK I put a VHD as a local mount, and assigned a letter. It cost me two precious drive letters, and is far too silly to use as a real solution... but I did manage to fool some apps, even IIS, to some degree.

Comment

Working...
              X