Some Technical Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Technical Questions...

I recently burned Battle For Middle Earth with Alc and mounted it onto Daemon, and everything runs great. However, every few seconds, it lags. It's not excessive, but it's enough to get on my nerves. It gets worse as the battles get bigger. but it even happens during calm scenarios, such as loading screens and the intro movies. I find this odd because I can run UT2K4 on Highest settings with no problems at all even in massive online games, and DOOM3 on high without any trouble. In fact, here are my stats:

Athlon 64 2800+ (oc'd to 2.1 ghz)
    Radeon 9800 pro 128mb ddr 256bit (oc'd 376core 376ram)
    Kingmax 512DDR PC 3200

And I set my virtual ram to 1200mb. Is it because it's in a virtual drive? Will it run better when I find a way to put it on a physical disk?

Does you game lag when you play with the real CD/DVD in the drive ?

Comment

Try upgrading your RAM to 1GB, 512MB is not enough for modern games.
      Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

Hi...

it is possible that BfME uses excessive amounts of textures. In that case the video memory might be insufficient, leading to the card swapping out textures to the computer's memory. When the swapped texture is needed again it has to be loaded from RAM, which is a pretty slow process.

In this case, btw, upgrading your RAM would be inadequate as it is not the RAM size limiting the speed but the very limited bandwidth between RAM and video card.

Another thought: With Windows XP SP2, Microsoft introduced a UAGP (Unified AGP) driver suitable for all AGP ports and another one specially for AMD Athlon 64 and Opteron systems. I've had a pretty bad experience after installing the VIA AGP driver on my Windows XP SP2 machine, after doing a clean install (i.e. formatting the Windows drive and reinstalling from scratch) without the AGP driver (which could be unticked in the Motherboard driver's setup) it ran much more smoothly.

Hope this helps...
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Thanks for your help guys. To answer Noib's question, I've never played with the real CD/DVD in the drive because it belongs to a friend I rarely see. Jariek, I was about to upgrade my ram anyway, so I'll try that. Sergie, I forgot to mention in my first post that the lag lessens, but not much, when I turn the in game graphics down to the lowest possible settings. However, I'm willing to try anything at this point... So do you know of a way to get rid of the UAGP driver without reformatting my drive? That would be rather anti-climatic seeing how I *just* got everything on my system in working. Also, I've heard of people buying an extra gig of ram or so and turning their AGP aperture up to 256. Will that help any?

Comment

bump

Comment

battle for middle earth

I have currently burned Battle for middle earth onto my computer and have been trying to mount the images to play the game and can not seem to get it to work.....please help. thanks

Comment

Working...
              X