Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Missing letters and uninstallable driveRs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing letters and uninstallable driveRs!

Operating System: win xp pro sp2
    Burning Software: -
    Anti-virus Software: AVG
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.33, 3.46, 3.47

Hi all!

I had clean install of xp sp2 integrated and installed DT 3.47.
    After reboot first thing i noticed is high CPU usage (50% and i have HT).
    services.exe (umpnpmgr.dll thread) was causing it. Then I noticed missing letters, and I was unabled to mount.
    Alcohol 120% also didn't work! Similar symptoms, no virtual drive, high cpu load.
    Tried 3.46 and 3.33 - same thing. Scanned for viruses and malware - nothing.
    Found post about missing letter, and found that there were no drivers installed, but I couldn't install them. I had all the files but windows just kept looping installation animation, and my cpu usage went to 100% (mms.exe (newdrv.dll thread) and old services.exe).
    Tried it all in safe mode, same deal. Tried killing the proceses and threads, again no luck.

What am i forgetting here?? Please help

Just reinstalled winxp, and now it works.

Only this time I used SP1 version, installed DT and *then* installed SP2.
    Never want to go throuugh same hell again. :-)

Comment

slipstreamed WinXP SP2

Operating System: VERY CLEAN & SLIPSTREAMED WinXP SP2
      Burning Software: -
      Anti-virus Software: -
      DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Just to confirm, I've had toooo much trouble with this same issue, tried installing on several PCs, it simply WON'T WORK! :o :shock: :x

There's no way to install Deamon Tools or Nero ImageDrive or Alcohol 120%, when you do slipstreamed XP SP2 clean install!

If anybody has any clue, please post! :oops:[/b]

Comment

anybody please?!? getting desperate!

Comment

FOUND SOLUTION!!!

This is REALLY REALLY strange!

In order to install ANY virtual CD software under WinXP SP2 you'll need to have System Restore functionality ENABLED!!!!!! (temporarily, at least!)

Most of the advanced WinXP users turn off System Restore as soon as WinXP installs... This is what was keeping me confused all the time... But now i wonder what does System Restore has with virtual CDs and Plug&Play anyways??!?

Comment

Working...
          X