Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when a virtual ghost drive reapperars after de- and reinstalling Daemon Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when a virtual ghost drive reapperars after de- and reinstalling Daemon Tools

Operating System: Windows XP, Service Pack 2
    Burning Software: Nero 6.6.0.3
    Anti-virus Software: H+BEDV AntiVir 6.29
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Due to an unknown reason (likely a crash or power outage) a virtual ghost CD-ROM drive appeared on my computer, not removable by using the Daemon Tools UI.

After deinstalling Daemon Tools, this ghost drive happily disappeared. But after reinstalling, the ghost drive reappeared again. Even following the instructions given in the thread about error 25002 did not solve the problem.

After digging around in the registry, i found the place where Daemon Tools store the informations about the active virtual drives. On my computer this is the key "CdRom&Ven_Generic&Prod_DVD-ROM&Rev_1.0" in the registry branch "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ SCSI\". To get rid of reappearing ghost drives (at least those belonging to Daemon Tools simply rename the key, for example "OLD_CdRom&Ven_Generic&Prod_DVD-ROM&Rev_1.0". Renaming the key instead of just deleting it is safer if you run in problems afterwards and have to restore the key with its content.

But before renaming the key you have to set proper permissions for the branch "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ SCSI\". By default you are not allowed to change any key in that branch.

Btw: I changed the registry after deinstalling the Daemon Tools. I did not try what will happen when modifying the registry while the Daemon Tools are installed. Perhaps it will end in a mess...

I hope, this will be helpful for someone.
Working...
X