Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIN/CUE not good enough for CDs with invalid TOC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIN/CUE not good enough for CDs with invalid TOC?

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
    Burning Software: Magic ISO maker 4.7
    Anti-virus Software: None, I'm suicidal
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

I am the proud owner of a legal copy of Pro Pinball: Timeshock, the greatest pinball simulation ever created.</advertising>

It has a nasty problem, though: all the music is on CD, and when it changes tracks, the game stutters. I'd like to circumvent this problem by running it off an image. I am not an expert in these matters, and I don't want to be. So I grabbed a random program capable of dumping CDs and used it.

This works, but when I try to mount the BIN/CUE combination, Daemon complains "unable to mount image, cue sheet: 52 - INDEX is beyond the end-of-file". Now, I realize this is a result of a misguided attempt at (trivial) copy protection by creating a bogus TOC for the CD, but what I don't understand is why Daemon can't handle this. The BIN file is an accurate reproduction of the CD, the CUE file is an accurate reproduction of the (invalid) TOC. If my CD drive can mount this CD without problems, why can't Daemon emulate its behaviour? Isn't that what an emulator is supposed to do? I appreciate that it checks the integrity of the files, but can't I tell it not to do that and lie to programs accessing the CD instead?

On another note, how *do* I get a usable image if BIN/CUE isn't going to do it? This "copy protection" is, to my knowledge, the oldest trick in the book -- do I really need some highfalutin' ripper to do it? Which of the myriad programs for CD copying would be appropriate, here? Any chance I can just tweak the BIN/CUE files instead of ripping it again?

Forget the obsolete bin/cue format, re-create the image from your original cd in appropriate image format (e.g. Alcohol or Blindwrite).
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

I tried it again with CloneCD, which produced a workable image. No more stuttering for me, now. :-)

Comment

Working...
      X