Compressing ISOs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressing ISOs?

I'm building a system for my kids and I'm going to use Daemon Tools to make it so they don't have to swap discs (as well as save them from scratching them). These are just educational programs, not games (Well, not good games. ;-) )
    I ISOed up my first image, which worked like a champ but because it's an ISO of the whole disc, it takes up some room on the hard drive. I wondered if their was a ISO compression tool or even a way to just install the needed components. Of course, I would need to know what the program needs. Registry edits of path didn't seem to make a difference and I don't really want to slap the debugger on each file to see when it accesses the CD. It's very possible that the EXE just checks to see if the disc is in the drive.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks,

For iso compression you can use the file compressor built into windows. To use it, I think you right click on the iso, go to properties, and then from there there is something like compress... I cant check now because I'm on my Linux

I dont think there is any other way to compress the iso without having to decompress it before using it.
    Failure is the mother of success.

Comment

Hmmm. Well, I'd have to check into that. The kids system is WinME( :x ) and I don't see that option in Properties. I have to use this OS for now since they have some older games and hardware that isn't supported on XP.
      I was hoping to find something like MAME where it will run a the ROMs from a zipped package.
      I saw some other tools like Daemon Tools that does do compression on the fly. Maybe I'll look into those or just buy a bigger hard drive. They're cheap these days.

Comment

Yeah, well good luck
        Failure is the mother of success.

Comment

Working...
        X