• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 SP1 breaks daemon tools

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1
    Burning Software: None
    Anti-virus Software: Symanted Antivirus 9.0.0.338
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

I installed SP1 for windows server 2003 this morning and daemon tools no longer works. On login i get a dialog that just says "Invalid Device". I tried repair an upgrade and completely uninstalling and reinstalling with no success. I do however still see the daemon d347prt scsi controller in device manager and it appears to be enabled.

And if you wait for a while and click desktop shortcut - it works?

Comment

It seems to. Let me do some testing monday morning when i am back around that machine.

Comment

You are correct that is exactly what is happening. Is it a timing issue?

Comment

There was some PnP problem long ago - but we thought it was fixed.
          But now seems it has returned - cause is that Windows does not add SCSI adapter automatically during boot, hence this problem.
          We'll try to look into it. Thanks.

Comment

I removed the registry entry that starts daemon on login and obviously the error went away at startup. Now I start it via the desktop icon. However I get a the same error when I run the app from the desktop icon but only on the first time I run it. If I turn around and run it again then it operates normally. I hope that helps.

Comment

I see. I hope that problem will go away in next version anyway.

Comment

My relative problem...

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 SP1
                Burning Software: Nero/Blindwrite
                Anti-virus Software: NOD32 2.5beta

I have exact the same problem with some extra flavour. I installed SP1 on the Windows Server 2003 machine, after booting I now experience the already described problem but in addition the server will freeze/lockup during the MUP Initializing phase at boot. This happens randomly on like 8 out of 10 times booting. Unfortunately this does not leave any error on the event log other than this one:
                --------------------------------------
                Event Type: Error
                Event Source: EventLog
                Event Category: None
                Event ID: 6008
                Date: 2/5/2005
                Time: 2:36:58 πμ
                User: N/A
                Computer: CAINE
                Description:
                The previous system shutdown at 2:34:22 πμ on 2/5/2005 was unexpected.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
                Data:
                0000: d5 07 05 00 01 00 02 00 Х.......
                0008: 02 00 22 00 16 00 6b 03 .."...k.
                0010: d5 07 05 00 00 00 01 00 Х.......
                0018: 17 00 22 00 16 00 6b 03 .."...k.
                ----------------------------------------

I uninstalled/installed again and same thing was happening. Then I uninstalled, manualy removed all related registry entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services
                and even HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/ENUM related ones and I also manualy deleted the bus and miniport driver files... Reinstalled, same thing happens.

My bootlog is also clean, nothing out of the ordinary there.
                Co-Creator of Akkadia MUD Game Engine Codebase (GPL 1999)
                In /dev/null no one can hear you scream!

Comment

I forgot to mention that there is no minidump. (Adding this as reply cause I couldn't edit the original post due to the 30 min rule)

Comment

Strange!

Operating System: Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition SP1
                    Burning Software: Nero
                    Anti-virus Software: Rising

same question on my desktop pc after upgrade to Windows 2003 sp1,but so strange, my notebook(Dell D600/IBM T40) is OK.

Comment

My 2003 SP1 machine still works fine.

I did do a clean install of the OS though - with SP1 integrated into it.

Must be something else contributing to causing the problem.

Comment

Daemon Tools

Operating System: WinXP Pro X64Bit 2003 (SP1)
                        Burning Software: none
                        Anti-virus Software: n\a

Greetings,
                        I tried installing Daemon Tools 3.47 on WinXP Pro X64 Bit (SP1) and the program fails to install. Could any of the mods be so kind and maybe email me the beta version you're currently testing so I can test, report any bugs

Comment

No. We don't need more beta testers right now. (!)
                          "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

I have managed to isolate my problem to the following:

It required reinstalling a lot of things but my issue is now gone. It's funny how they let something like this slip for so long...

PS Contrary to what MS is claiming in that article this did not only affect WFP protected files. Proof of that is that I isolated the issue on my machine when I used certain patches, utilizing msi that did not include any WFP protected files. Further testing with all kinds of msi installers which did not update any WFP protected file whatsoever, (example 2 .png image files not updated in one of the game patches I tested) showed this was happening quite randomly.

Comment

Operating System: Windows Server 2003
                              Burning Software: n/a
                              Anti-virus Software: eTrust

Seeing how I just registered DTools and trying to use it on a 2k3 server and receive the exact same error. I'm curious if this issue has been resolved in perhaps a new up and coming version?

It's not a huge downfall to stop DT from auto starting then fire it up manually, just curious though if it has been addressed.

Thanks for this info, its been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X