X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT stopped working properly

Operating System: Win XP Pro ed
    Burning Software: nero 6.066
    Anti-virus Software: none (computer isn\'t hooked up to the net)
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

I recently installed Daemon tools in my PC. The first day everything worked great. Yesterday, however, I created an image file of a Beastie Boys CD (Licensed To Ill) and mounted it onto the DT virtual drive. I decided to play the the newly mounted virtual drive with Nero Media Player. Nero started, and before it plays songs off of a "drive" it always says on a little console "Scanning for drivers" or something like that. Well this time as soon as it said "Scanning for drivers" my monitor turned BLUE (Blue Screen of Death?) and it had a long message for me in that blue screen saying something about "If this is the first time you've seen this screen..." and "...turn on Safemode...".

Well, after all that, I restarted the computer and everything started nicely. I attempted to play the music once more on Nero and the same thing occured, but this time instead of the screen turning blue, the computer just restarted on its own. I decided to do a System Restore but after everything was said and done, the problem still existed.

Here's a list of things that I CAN do with the virtual drive:

1) I can use it in collaboration with EAC.
    2) I can play any music files on the virtual drive with Windows Media Player.

Here's a list of what I found that causes the PC to restart:

1) When I try to play music in the virtual drive with nero media player.
    2) When I try to create a music CD using nero, I can't copy CD to CD, in other words, I use the virtual drive as the source drive and I use my real DVD/CD burner to do a CD to CD burn. When I hit the "Copy" button to initiate the burning process, the monitor goes black and the computer restarts.

Appreciate any help.
    YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

If you haven't, please disable "automatic restarting" in Windows XP. This feature causes the computer to automatically reboot in case of a blue screen, so you won't be able to read what it says.

To accomplish that, please go to Control Panel, System, Advanced, and then the third "Settings" button (I have a german Windows XP so I don't know the exact name of that area). There you can disable automatic restart.
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Try to update Nero to newest version.
      Check if you've minidump(s) (in Windows\Minidump folder) related to that crash(es), if so send newest file(s) to support@daemon-tools.cc with reference to this thread. (Please send them unpacked or RAR-packed, NOT Zip'ed!)
      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Thanks for responding so quickly. I will try your suggestions. Seeing how nobody else seems to have the exact same problem as me, I would really appreciate it if guys can keep checking on this post to see if I have more questions on the same problem. I will DEFENITLEY post something new here by no later than Monday.

By the way, I don't think that nero is at fault because it worked before, but not anymore. Anyways, I went to the Nero homepage to download the latest version of Nero which is v6.6.0.8.

Thanks for your help.
        YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

Comment

I forgot to mention that I also noticed that the virtual drive that Alcohol 120% provides is having the same glitch...might there be a common problem?
          YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

Comment

If it started happening yesterday, and happens with Daemon Tools as well as Alcohol 120% of which you upgraded neither, I don't think it's a problem with those two.

Did you install anything since last time you successfully played music in Nero? Or change anything on your system?
            "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

I don't believe I instlaled anything else besides the following:

1) Exact Audio Copy (EAC)
              2) Feurio!
              3) Alcohol 120%
              YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

Comment

Did you send any minidump yet?

Comment

I mean, don't get me wrong. It could be something other than Daemon tools, but it seems weird that I can play music files that are on my hard drive and music on CD's with Nero, but Nero cannot play music on the virtual drive(s). Anyways, I have put the minidump information and put it into a RAR compressed file, and will email it shortly to support@daemon-tools.cc.
                  YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

Comment

I sent the minidump file. I hope that this is what you need.
                    YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

Comment

Check what software installed dvd43llh.sys. That driver seems to be buggy. Try to remove/update it.

Comment

I recently updated DVD43 from version 3.0.4 to version 3.5.2 a few days ago. Are you saying that the upgraded version of DVD43 caused the problem, or DVD43 itself is the problem.

By the way, how do I:
                        1) Check to see what software installed DVD43
                        2) Properly remove/update its driver (will a regular "uninstall"do?)
                        YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

Comment

OK, I found out that DVD43 was the culprit (as expected), but here's the deal: I can have DVD43 on my computer as long as I make sure to turn it off before I want to play music on the virtual drive with Nero.

I also found out that if I uninstall DVD43 v3.5.2 and then install the older version (v3.0.4) back into the PC, I still get the BSOD if I try to play music on the virtual drive with Nero. So for now, I'm stuck doing what's underlined.

But my question is: If these two applications have a tough time co-existing, why am I the only one reporting it?

Just as an experiment, I installed Daemon Tools and DVD43 onto my brother's computer, and lo and behold, when we tried to play music on the virtual drive with Nero on his computer, we got the BSOD!

Now, I know that either the DVD43 application I got off of afterdawn.com is corrupted (I have no beef with the fine people at afterdawn), or both my PC and my brother's PC is f*cked up (which they might be).

Daemon gurus, I know I'm just an Imp, but please open your hearts and respond, and tell that there's a way to have DVD43 and Daemon Tools coexist.
                          YOU_WILL_ BE_ASSIMILATED

Comment

If some driver has bug you cannot make it coexist - either do not use it
                            or find fixed version. Send you minidump to authors of this program so they can fix their driver.

Comment

Working...
                            X