• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to detect DAEMON Tools?

Operating System: N/A
    Burning Software: N/A
    Anti-virus Software: N/A
    DAEMON Tools Version: any

In a program dependent on DAEMON Tools, I want to detect whether or not DAEMON Tools (any version is OK) has been installed in the target computer. If it is installed, I want to further know the full path of daemon.exe. Can anybody tell me how to do that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
    Burning Software: Ahead Nero 6.6.0.6; Alcohol 120%
    Anti-virus Software: McAfee 2005
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

I need to know how this can be done too! Is there any Registry information about Daemon tools path? Is there anyone who can help us?

I've already done this for Alcohol and it's easy but for DT I can't get it...

Comment

Think about it, this is exactly what we're trying to avoid all the time. If everyone was able to easily detect Daemon Tools, so would be the developers of copy protections - too easy a way to blacklist Daemon Tools...
      "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

NetSoerfer

I think you might be right but what if users aren't using pirate copies? Software developers cannot presume that everyone that has DT running on their system is using software copies.

I've been doing some workaround about this and the best way I know to detect DT is searching in running processes but there is always the change that daemon.exe is not running although it's installed, right?

Comment

Ever heard of "collateral damage"? That's exactly what users that use Daemon Tools legally are considered by CP developers. Some copy protections deliberately break an installation of Daemon Tools to prevent people from using it with the games they're "protecting".

Software developers cannot presume that everyone that has DT running on their system is using software copies.
          Unfortunately, they can, and they do.
          "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

My latest workaround to detect Daemon Tools is to search "daemon.dll" in Windows folder. I'm not sure if it's correct for all DT an Windows versions, but for DT 3.47 and Windows XP SP2 it is...

Comment

Working...
            X