PDA

View Full Version : CloneCD or Alcohol 120%

robotangel
19.05.2005, 12:11
That's a poll, what do you use and >why<? Please give reasons.

(Please only software, which is able to copying in raw-mode, to copy safedisc 2,3 etc.)

robotangel
21.05.2005, 22:39
please say why, i want to use one program and would like to decide on my own which to use. but a few reasons why would help.

Nordoelum
28.06.2005, 21:57
Alcohol 120%

NetSoerfer
29.06.2005, 18:10
Alcohol 120% as well, because it overcomes way more copy protections - and uses less hacks to accomplish that - than CloneCD.

CCD was the superior duplicating program once, but Alcohol has long since taken that crown.

pip8184
30.06.2005, 13:18
How about i vote for Blindwrite?

cypeak
30.06.2005, 18:59
alcohol! why?
i use alc because it perfectly works with dt for me..
alc: making images, burning.....
dt: mounting
alcohol has also far better virtual drives than clonecd..

robotangel
18.07.2005, 00:25
alcohol! why?
i use alc because it perfectly works with dt for me..
alc: making images, burning.....
dt: mounting
alcohol has also far better virtual drives than clonecd..

I thought you use DT for virtual drives ;) ?

nah
03.08.2005, 09:30
alcohol 120% .. i can burn my cd/dvd images to a cd/dvd directly..

OlivierFromFrance
03.08.2005, 20:32
Alcohol 120% is able to extract DPM data (securom,starforce ...) not CloneCD.

Olivier

Underheaven
03.08.2005, 23:55
I chose other.
CloneCD isn't up to par with latest protections. Not Starforce nor SecuROM 5.x or 7.x. I do think someday CloneCD will catch up.

SmackuROM
04.08.2005, 02:04
CloneCD recently let me down, and I discoverd BlindWrite.

Dllfile
06.08.2005, 01:43
I use many, but voted for Alcohol 120%. Depends on what im doing really. I prefer Alcohol 120% or Blindwrite however based on experience from use. I have gotten top quality results from Alcohol 120% and Blindwrite.

Used to love CloneCD but I think its' days have been numbered.

eagles500
10.08.2005, 02:34
it has a lot more options then clone cd or blindwrite and work well with DT

CD_TOASTER
14.08.2005, 13:05
alcohol has a virtual image drive as well. in what ways is daemon tools better?

Zepholos
11.09.2005, 03:59
Actually, I use Alcohol 120, Clone CD, and Blindwrite. What I do is I create images of my games and load them to DT so that I don't have to keep swaping cd's every time I want to play a diff. game. And so for most of my games, I use Alcohol 120, however when backing up my EA games that do cd checks, Alcohol falls short. That's when I use the latest version of Clone CD and use the "Protected PC Game" setting and create an image this way. It works perfectly fine. And I can load my images even though the games do a cd check, it reads fine loading from DT and I put away my original cd's so that they're never scratched. =) Oh, and lastly, when both Alcohol and Clone CD don't work, i use Blindwrite, and that works for sure.

TheWierd
14.09.2005, 19:25
Alcohol or Nero... It all depends on what to burn.... Some cases make Alcohol better and the opposite...

Ramon Zarat
27.09.2005, 04:41
For pure PC game backup, I would say Alcohol is top.

Far all purpose burning, Nero is way better. With Nero, you can for example take a bunch of MP3, add them and Nero will convert them to .wav on the fly while loading (As long as your CD project is audio CD). Then, just burn and enjoy you new audio CD. Try this with alcohol. The list of possibility with the Full Nero suite package is awesome in both the audio and video department

When a backup copy fails with alcohol or to extract true ISO image from any type of media, then use BlindWrite.

I think that clone CD is obsolete, but maybe useful in rare instances.

Ramon

robbo
11.10.2005, 17:09
Alcohol dont have much choice in the matter but it suits all my needs.

Rahu
11.10.2005, 22:27
alcohol has a virtual image drive as well. in what ways is daemon tools better?
iirc, they're the same thing. alcohol licensed technology from the daemon-tools team. There might be small differences, but nothing big :)

VelluKetola
12.10.2005, 17:13
Alcohol 120 because it has all that I need to make backups and images from my media and that way they last for as long as I live in perfect condition. :D

admsjas
13.10.2005, 03:36
i use blindwrite to rip images and no cd cracks to run the game. why bohter ripping images you say? with kids, it's better safe than sorry. haven't used alcohol 120, i've heard a lot of good things about it though.

mr.shadow
17.10.2005, 01:45
Just gotten hold of blindwrite. Never used it before but have heard only good comments. Used Alc12o% for some time with no problems. Once clone was the dogs, well I say dogs.....it was the only prog avaliable and it was good, well sometimes, in the days afore sly-fox. :)

nhel_anel143
17.10.2005, 03:10
That's a poll, what do you use and >why<? Please give reasons.

(Please only software, which is able to copying in raw-mode, to copy safedisc 2,3 etc.)

Mister_Hack
27.10.2005, 19:10
I voted "Other" (BlindWrite to be precise; sadly no two votes possible) since i made the experience, that Alcohol wonґt work with my DVD-Drives in the case i need to get DPMS information from DVDs. BlindWrite on the other hand is able to get the DPMS information from DVDs with my drives without problem.

I still would prefer Alcohol, but since more and more titles are only avaliable on DVD and are using some kind of protection which require the use of DPMS i am "forced" to use BlindWrite for these titles.

AnalCobra
27.10.2005, 19:21
I voted "Other" (BlindWrite to be precise; sadly no two votes possible) since i made the experience, that Alcohol wonґt work with my DVD-Drives in the case i need to get DPMS information from DVDs. BlindWrite on the other hand is able to get the DPMS information from DVDs with my drives without problem.

I still would prefer Alcohol, but since more and more titles are only avaliable on DVD and are using some kind of protection which require the use of DPMS i am "forced" to use BlindWrite for these titles.
What's DPMS??
I only know DPM and RMPS!
My burner don't support dpm in alcohol, too.
But with Blindwrite it works. So i use the inject method.

Syberia
27.10.2005, 22:00
Alcohol 120% has a virtual image drive

hellkid
28.10.2005, 00:24
alcohol 120%

robotangel
28.10.2005, 22:41

BlindWrite doesn't read DVDs at all... I think.
Does it?

Underheaven
29.10.2005, 02:12
BlindWrite does read DVDs. It used to be better at reading DVD DPM than Alcohol.

robotangel
29.10.2005, 13:49
Not at me, when I choose "Read CD" it says that no CD is inserted, on both DVD-Drives... :(

Underheaven
29.10.2005, 13:55
I don't know when DVD imaging/writing was supported but reading DPM from DVD's has been available ever since version 5.0.7, see the changelog (http://www.vso-software.fr/Blindwrite/blindwrite_history.htm).

p.s. They seem to have skinned their website for halloween, I like it :)

robotangel
29.10.2005, 14:24
I downloaded BlindWrite (Suite) 1 week ago, so I think the version is not too old :D

edit: ouch, i downloaded and installed a old 4.5 version... :D

Nikos
29.10.2005, 19:15
I tried BlindWrite once, but it didn't seem to work. There were no options (like reading/writing subchannels, skip erros, DPM, etc). SecuROM DVDs didn't work at all (it refused to extract DPM no matter what). All I could select what "Automatic" (which was anything BUT automatic), and a few others, not related to copy protections.

Does the program actually work for someone?

Underheaven
29.10.2005, 20:31
You have to use all sorts of addons and special profiles, it works great for me.

Methadon
29.10.2005, 20:32
I like Alcohol 120% more than CloneCD, but I use none of them for mounting.

AnalCobra
29.10.2005, 22:47
I normally use Alcohol (and the dpm of bw,injected in the mds),
if an image of Alc doesn't work i try BW.

Nikos
29.10.2005, 23:41
You have to use all sorts of addons and special profiles, it works great for me.So much for the "ease of use" part. Why don't they put all that stuff in the program by default? Like Alcohol does? I don't get it. The only part of BlindWrite that seems useful, is BWABuilder. But unfortunately, it didn't work (maybe it hates the trial version of BlindWrite?) I can't even test it!

stile
30.10.2005, 00:00
For me Blindwrite is really good at making CD images, not so much DVD images. And yes, the trial version sucks.

robotangel
30.10.2005, 18:56
But unfortunately, it didn't work (maybe it hates the trial version of BlindWrite?) I can't even test it!

It works good for me... You can't make a BWA from Protections that are based on "Bad Sectors".

Where can you get these Profiles, Addons, Patches etc.?

AnalCobra
30.10.2005, 19:13
It works good for me... You can't make a BWA from Protections that are based on "Bad Sectors".

Where can you get these Profiles, Addons, Patches etc.?

If you have installed a trial version of BW you can't start bwa builder.
What Add-ons and Patches do you mean?

bokkie13
30.10.2005, 22:46
Hi, I use alcohol120%. There's always something with clonecd or clonedvd. Alcohol120% works easier I think. Maybe I haven't figured out how clonecd works:confused: , maybe that's it, so I stick to alcohol:D .

Kaloyan_78
31.10.2005, 06:23
I use Nero:wink: . It may not be the best burning program, but it sure works for me:) .

Nikos
31.10.2005, 06:23
It works good for me... You can't make a BWA from Protections that are based on "Bad Sectors".I can't make a BWA at all, actually. Alcohol has problems with my drive, where DPM extraction is really slow. I would like to try if BWA builder works, but the program refuses to do so. People say that BB doesn't work with the trial version of BW. That's fine with me, but I think VSO should make BB work with the trial too, unless they want to lose potentional customers.

Nikos
31.10.2005, 06:41
I use Nero:wink: . It may not be the best burning program, but it sure works for me:) .Actually, Nero with Safedisc DVDs works just fine. It even works with some CD protections.

robotangel
31.10.2005, 09:42
People say that BB doesn't work with the trial version of BW.

I've got the Trail, too, but it works fine.
You can try to download and install BWABulider only: http://vso.nerim.net/BlindWrite_BWABuilder5_setup.exe

Maybe I should say that I got the BlindWrite 4.5 Trail :D :D :D

lecter2004
31.10.2005, 19:01
now i vote for alcohol but when i vote for daemon tools v4 ?

rebellion
28.11.2005, 09:00
I was forced to use Blindwrite (new version) because starforce completely disables the selection of High DPM in alcohol......now ive changed im completely happy with the new version of Blindwrite....its far quicker than alcohol....and it makes 100% DPM images that work every time with automatic settings well done VSO............

The lord giveth and the lord taketh away........

rebellion
28.11.2005, 09:08
78% seem to go for Alcohol 120%.......

Now it is clear why the new Starforce 3.6+ is targeting Alcohol 120% at the moment, it is disabling the High DPM setting, you will be able to set it at High DPM.....but when it comes to the read, it will state the DPM setting is "Normal"..............

New Blindwrite is unaffected for now.......

Underheaven
28.11.2005, 18:35
Off topic for the CloneCD/Alcohol vote:

Is there any evidence that Starforce disables Alcohol's DPM High setting (even with all Starforce drivers properly uninstalled)? Modified or deleted Alcohol registry keys or modified/deleted Hardware capabilities database (ex. DevSupp.dll)?

And can anyone blame a specific version/revision of Starforce?

puppeteer
28.11.2005, 21:10
i vote blindwrite cause it has never let me down

rebellion
29.11.2005, 11:41
Well ive emailed the problems I have been experiencing with Alcohol to Alcohol-soft and they have replied with thanks for highlighting the issues with starforce 3.6.10.06, its now been passed on to their developement team. Apart from that I can say no more.....except

Cant wait for the new version!

joel
05.01.2006, 16:45
hey guys i would not prefer to use alcohol120% after installing a starforce protected game becoz the starforce system dosent allow you to make raw copies of securom or starforce cds. It ejects the disk before the writing is completed.

it says"Something is wrong in recording procedure, save log file and report to forum"

but the same burning of the cd i did in my frendz comp and it completed succesfully.(There was no starforce protected game installed in the system so it worked)

I can assure you this, try out guys...

madowe
06.01.2006, 15:57
thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Blood-Man
16.01.2006, 18:31
I use Alcohol 120%. Very good indeed.

Jito463
17.01.2006, 13:26
@joel
Can you blame Alcohol because StarForce messes with it? StarForce also causes BSODs when installing Alcohol on a system that already has the SF drivers installed, can you say that's Alcohols fault as well? Just use the SF removal tool and try again. It should work fine.

DomiOh
17.01.2006, 15:17
I prefer Alcohol, CloneCD is sort of... ugh... :D

jjsscram
18.01.2006, 01:41
I went with blindwite, becuase it plays well with window 64. No other reason then that.