DT Pro Suggestion: Image Archive Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT Pro Suggestion: Image Archive Maintenance

I would like to see DT Pro support (enterprise) environments where an archive of ISOs are made available - for example I have a terabyte snap server at my disposal for storage of product CDs, Linux ISOs, etc. It would be good to be able to browse and mount those images from the DT Pro console, and perhaps even view information about them (even a one line description: ENW2K3R2ENT.ISO makes less sense than 'Windows 2003 Server R2 Enterprise - English' - this would probably be stored in another file in the same directory (possibly as simple as an ini file or as flexible as an ldif file which would also allow storage of, say, serial numbers) as you don't want to break checksums by writing to the isos themselves and while alternate streams would be an elegant fix they would not work on many NAS systems etc. Your ability to maintain the archive would depend only on your ability to write to the various folders and this would ideally be visible through the interface (a pencil with a line through it, a padlock, etc. on the relevant files/folders for example). Maybe it could even integrate with explorer by maintaining a thumbnail database that would be visible even from outside daemontools (view->thumbnails). It would probably remember where the archive was located - eg 'c:\', 'h:\isos' or '\\snapserver\isos' and open that folder by default whenever you opened it. You would install it on all your client machines and people could access the software they need (say, MDSN) and make updates where necessary (say, new linux releases). It would scale easily to hundreds of isos (at the very least) and would be trivial to install, requiring little configuration.

I hope this feedback proves useful and look forward to seeing you financially rewarded for your contribution of an excellent piece of software.
Working...
X