• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXE ( .exe ) WOULDN'T INSTALL *until I copied...* [ re - daemon347.exe ]

Operating System: Apple Macintosh Virtual PC 5/6.1 w Win XP Pro / Win98se
    Burning Software: Mac OSX and Toast
    Anti-virus Software: Macintosh OSX
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Hi - - just a quick bit of feedback in case it helps someone. (BTW, forgive me, the verbose narrative is deliberate such that future Googlers with a similar issue stand more chance more quickly :roll: )

Okay. Been using Daemon Tools--thanks guys :wink: big Respect--successfully in Virtual PC 5 Win98se with MacOS 9.2.2 on a G3 500 PowerBook (Pismo), the ISO CD images having been created mostly with Toast.

Just got M$ Virtual PC 6.1 including Windoze XP Professional off eBay, all legit, and all seemed installed okay in Mac OS X 10.3.7 Panther, same laptop.

First intended bolt-on was your Daemon Tools (so much more elegant than all that optical drive thrashing and whirring) so I came here and downloaded your latest v 3.47 exe file. It duly arrived on the desktop of one of my Macintosh hard disk partitions, then I moved it to a shared folder for VPC/Doze to access it.

Back to the Windows XP Pro environment, in which I'm the first and sole user account created, but double-clicking the daemon347.exe file FAILED TO INSTALL ANYTHING. It came up with some error message dialogue box:

"daemon347.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something ..." blah blah blah.

I'm not fluent in Windows 98 se as it is, and this was my first ever contact with XPPro, so I was rather less than happy.

This error occurred, and failure to install, each and every attempt, whether trying the double-click direct route or using the control panel Add/Remove Programs strategy. Okay, so after much cursing, thinking, Googling and reading, plus a go with the Windows Compatibility utility wherein I noticed the comment about it being on a network or removable volume, and it dawned on me that this might be some unix-type permissions thing somewhere behind the scenes.

Permissions and Privileges is something we've had to come to terms with here in Mac-land since with MacOSX Apple turned all our beloved Macs into UNIX boxes ... admittedly solid-as-a-rock now, no longer a case of "M-a-c-i-n-t-o-s-h = Mac Applications Crash, If Not The Operating System Hangs" LOL :wink: ... but yes, still basically un*x boxes under the bonnet. Users, Ownership, Permissions, all of it. No longer are we "rebuilding desktops" but instead "repairing permissions" after installations and weirdness.

So anyway, *WITHIN WINDOWS XP* I did a *COPY* of the daemon347.exe file into a newly created folder on 'the C drive' and voila, it launched and went ahead with the installation of Daemon Tools into the XP-Pro system ... very slowly I might add, "progress bar" clearly an oxymoron.

But there you have it. It worked for me here.

* * * Precis : Daemon Tools would NOT install from the .exe file on the 'foreign' disk (the shared folder which Windows XP Professional deems to be a Network Volume) but daemon347.exe DID launch and install once I'd copied the file (while logged in as the sole user account, with admin status) onto 'the Windows drive.' * * *

I hope this helps someone somewhere sometime. You can lose a lot of your life "Looking At and Looking For, Looking At and Looking For.." (©Mark2004). And those hours days months years can never be regained. Never. :cry:

Works ok for me in VMware, so it seems some problem with VirtualPCs handling of shared devices.
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Working...
    X