• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
    Burning Software: Nero 6 Ultra Edition 6.6.0.1
    Anti-virus Software: AVG Free Edition 7.0.323
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Voodoo M:855 laptop, AMD64/3200, 1G RAM, 60G hard disk. NEC ND6500A recently added to replace failing original drive.

Within Device Manager, the virtual cd drive(s) for Daemon Tools show up with the (!) icon in front of the text "Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device"

Things tried to make it work:
    uninstall daemon tools, reboot, reinstall daemon tools
    uninstall the generic dvd-rom through device manager, then use add new hardware wizard with daemon tools running - recreates device, but it too is bad.
    uninstall the generic dvd-rom through device manager, then navigate to \windows\inf\cdrom.inf, right click, and select install. recreates device, but it too is bad.

daemon tools used to work on this machine, but it has been about two months since I had it working. Unfortunately, no detailed change log is available to show what's different. I know that the images I have worked properly before, it is the daemon tools & generic dvd-rom combination that appears to be having problems. The images have not been changed.

Aside from a reference to the post in the common problems and solution forum, What can I look at, what can I try, what can I change in an effort to get daemon tools working?

If there's a yellow exclamation mark, there should be some error and error code? Are there any drivers installed for the virtual device?
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. With regard to your follow up questions:

"Device status:
      Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Reading that text is what led my down the path of uninstalling the device, then doing the add new hardware wizard and a reboot. It found the device, but it still does not work.

Looking at the Driver tab, I see 4 items listed:
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\storpop.dll

Perhaps I will try to replace those files with similar files off another machine here.

Any other thoughts?

[/i]

Comment

Try to remove imapi.sys from list of drivers, by following the registry editing mentioned in this thread.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Will do.

Tried copying in the 4 listed files from another laptop, that did not clear up the problem. Next, restore those four from where I saved them off, reboot, then try the imapi.sys removal that you reference.

Comment

The regedit option did the trick. Removed references to upper limit filter as all referenced the redbook item. Now my virtual drives are back, and I can go back to NOT carrying the original CDs with me when I travel.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Hope this chain helps someone else.

Comment

Need help with deamon tools and DVD drive

I installed deamon tools on my computer and my dvd drive wont detect any DVDs anymore. I tryed uninstalling deamon tools but my driver still can't detect the DVD. I would like to use deamon tools and still be able to use my DVD drive to watch movies. Please can someone help me.

Comment

@sharpzorz
                Did you try doing what jsf did and check upper and lower filters?

Originally Posted by jsf
                The regedit option did the trick. Removed references to upper limit filter as all referenced the redbook item. Now my virtual drives are back, and I can go back to NOT carrying the original CDs with me when I travel.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

Hope this chain helps someone else.

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
                  Try to remove imapi.sys from list of drivers, by following the registry editing mentioned in this thread.

Hi, I have exactly the same symptoms as described in this thread. However, the link to the registery editing does not work. Could you please check the thread or send me the procedure

Thanks!

Comment

Search your registry for upperfilter and lowerfilter. There's only one instance of each, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Comment

Working...
                    X