• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant Recognize Blank CDs, tried fix solutions

Operating System: Windows XP Corp w/ SP2
    Burning Software: Nero Burning Rom 6.3.1.6
    Anti-virus Software: Norton Antivirus 2005
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47 (currently uninstalled)

After installing daemon tools, my cd drive (maddog 4 in 1 cd rom, r/rw burner, dvd-rom) won't recognize blank discs (so I can't burn cds). It does, however, still play cds and dvds.

Daemon tools installed, ran, and unistalled without errors. But this problem occured directly after D-tools was installed.

I've tried all of the solutions on the "Common Problems and Solutions" forum, and none of them fixed the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, when i uninstall the maddog drive through device manager and reboot, win xp says that it found two new hardwares: the maddog drive and "CD-Rom Drive."

I'm guessing that this CD-Rom Drive is a virtual drive that's replacing my original.

There are no multi-reg values in HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Class/{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} , or any of the subfolders.

Anyone have an idea of what I should try?

:?: :?: :?:

Comment

Same issue, certain burning programs cannot recognize writeable media in the drive

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2
      Burning Software: Default Windows XP Roxio CD Creator
      Anti-virus Software: eTrust antivirus v7.0.140
      DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47 (uninstalled)

Immediate after installing the Daemon Tools driver to try it out, the default CD writing software (Roxio) in Windows XP tanked out. It refuses to recognize writeable CD media.

I can guarantee this is not a hardware problem as I just went into Windows Media Player and successfully burned an audio CD. So there is a software/registry/driver setting (not sure which) that the Daemon-tools breaks, it seems to me.

It's pretty obvious to me that installing the Daemon-Tools messes with some registry settings in a nasty way and if anyone knows how to undo these changes to unbreak the default CD writing software included with Windows XP, that would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

jrrj -- can you burn an audio CD with Windows Media player or does all of your CD-burning software exhibit the same behavior where recognizing the writeable media does not occur?

Comment

Possible solution

I am not sure which step I took has fixed my problem, but I did the following three things and now I can once again burn files to CD-R media

1) Go into services, and start the IMAPI service, and set startup to "automatic"

2) set the following keys in the registry:

Code:
        [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
        "allocatedasd"="2"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
        "NoCDBurning"=dword:00000000
        (If you are not comfortable using the registry editor, you can paste the two sets of items above into a new file, name it fixcdr.reg and then double-click that file)

And of course, it is always a very good idea to be comfortable using a registry editor (select "Run" and then type in "regedt32" in WinXP) so that you can make a backup of your registry settings before altering the registry. While the above registry hack fixed my problem, I am not sure which of the three items above actually fixed the problem and there is inherent risk in modifying any registry setting (unless you actually wrote the software that uses the setting!)

Good luck.

It's annoying that this Daemon-Tools software breaks other stuff when you install it, that's a very *bad* quality in any piece of software.

Comment

Daemon Tools breaks nothing, seems you've no idea what you are talking about.
          The problem you described is just another example of bad filter drivers like Roxio or Imapi which are known to cause nothing but trouble (e.g. disappearing drives, BSODs etc.).
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

not sure

While your claim that Daemon tools breaks nothing might be true, it is certainly a very strong coincidence that things broke

1) immediately after its installation
            2) then were fixed only after uninstalling it and then hacking the registry

If the suggestion (I won't call it a solution at this point because I don't know the root cause) I posted helps anyone else, then I'm glad I posted it.

If someone else who has more knowledge of daemon tools has a solution to the problem in this thread -- I'm sure that would be much more helpful than what I've posted for sure --

Could you elaborate on how a bad filter driver would cause a CD-R not to be recognized from within a particular burning application (in this case, the *default* Windows XP CD burning wizard (Roxio)). Why, if the filter drivers that come as part of this cd burning application are bad, would the software work flawlessly for over a year and then break after installation of daemon tools? That sounds more like a bad interaction than a universally bad driver?

I have no doubt that the driver software you mention is written in a way that is less than optimal. But it *was* working until installation of Daemon tools; it is arguable that even if something is sub-optimal (yet working as far as the end user is concerned), it is worse to take something from sub-optimal and working to something sub-optimal and broken.

If there is a better solution for this problem, it would probably be a service to other users to post the correct solution to the FAQ -- like jrrj before me I searched the FAQ to reference to this particular problem and did not find a solution (and yes, as a likely flame will say, that's just because I didn't know what I was doing, but I did make an effort so I ask for forgiveness in advance). $0.02

Comment

jrrj -- can you burn an audio CD with Windows Media player or does all of your CD-burning software exhibit the same behavior where recognizing the writeable media does not occur?
              All of my burning software (WMP and Nero) won't recognize blank mediums. But even worst, windows doesn't recognize the hardware anymore... or rather, it recognizes a generic "CD-Rom Drive" after recognizing the purchased hardrive, and replaces the real one with the generic one -- and the generic "CD-Rom Drive" doesn't recognize blank mediums.

I'm also sure that this is not a hardware problem, as I've tested the unit in a different computer.

schrockstar, thanks for the suggestions. I've tried everything you've listed to no avail. Just curious, what drivers are installed for your CD drive?

Comment

So what happend? Your real drives disappeared? In this case check related thread in common problems and solutions forum.
                Or did the virtual device take a drive letter previously used by your real device? Then try to change the drive letter of the virtual device via Set drive parameters menu of related device.
                Also check in device manager which drivers are installed for the virtual device.

Comment

So what happend? Your real drives disappeared? In this case check related thread in common problems and solutions forum.
                  Or did the virtual device take a drive letter previously used by your real device?
                  I believe that the virtual device is taking over the letter of the real device. I've tried everything in the suggested forum; nothing has worked. There are no multi string values in the specified registry location, and no exclamation or question marks in the device manager, etc.

Then try to change the drive letter of the virtual device via Set drive parameters menu of related device.
                  You want me to reinstall daemon tools? Besides, I tried this when the problem first occured (when i installed daemon tools). It changed the virtual drive to another letter, but left a non-operative generic device in place of the real one.

Also check in device manager which drivers are installed for the virtual device.
                  The virtual device doesn't appear in device manager, it's only seen in my computer, windows explorer, and nero.

Device manager does, however, recognize the real drive.
                  My computer and window explorer do not recognize the real drive.
                  Nero recognized both devices.
                  But none of these recognize blank cds; so i can't burn anything.

Comment

Did you check thread about error 25002 in common problems and solutions forum to remove leftovers of previous installation? Especially SCSI controller and PnP BIOS Extension.

Comment

Did you check thread about error 25002 in common problems and solutions forum to remove leftovers of previous installation? Especially SCSI controller and PnP BIOS Extension.
                      I did, as well as the rest of the threads on that forum.

There was no
                      "SCSI controller with name corresponding with name of Daemon driver" for step 1.

There was no "PnP BIOS Extension" for step 2.

There was no "d347bus.sys and d347prt.sys" for step 3.

etc.

I'm still stuck here.

Comment

Which drivers are installed for your real devices (in device manager)?

Comment

Which drivers are installed for your real devices (in device manager)?
                          cdrom.sys
                          imapi.sys
                          redbook.sys
                          storprop.dll

Comment

Try to remove imapi.sys from list of drivers, by following the registry editing mentioned in this thread.

Comment

I've tried to do that, but there are no REG_MULTI_SZ strings in the specified registry folder (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36 E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), so I don't think that I should delete the file from windows/system32/drivers.

Am I doing this correctly? Or is there another way?

Comment

Working...
                              X