Starforce 3.5 and Windows XP x64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starforce 3.5 and Windows XP x64

I was wondering if anyone knew of any games currently using Starforce 3.5 (the new and x64 compatible version).

I ask because I am told by customer support at Larian and Ubisoft that they believe their games will work in x64 if I manage to install 3.5. Of course, they can't provide it, and you can't download it from the StarForce website - so if someone could point me in the right direction to get my hands on a game that is, or has been patched to, StarForce 3.5 - I'd much appreciate it.

At this moment no games this starforce 3.5. Demo, that protected by starforce 3.5, not protected on cdr-rom by this version. In Russia game released with old version of starforce 3.4.76.00.

Comment

StarForce installs a driver for the copy protection that checks for the original disc and for any installed emulation programs.

As drivers have to be rewritten from scratch to support Windows x64, existing versions of StarForce won't work with x64.

But, alas, I don't know of any patch that provides an upgrade to StarForce 3.5 either. I'll see if I find out anything useful about this, if I do, I'll post it here.
      "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Someone from StarForce confirmed that the latest version of SF (he didn't talk about version numbers) already supports x64. But there won't be any generic patches, they'll have to be provided by the game devs, so in your case it's Larian's or UbiSoft's call to make the game work.

Comment

Read this

Starforce 3.5 use old drivers. It install driver 1.33. But you can download drivers 1.35 from Starforce site. No new drivers in starforce 3.5!
          And read this:

After that i havn't any reason to by the game that protected by Starforce!
          P.S.: and after install driver 1.35 one latest game run from mini image. No new blacklist in new starforce!

Comment

Originally Posted by dm_gammer
            After that i havn't any reason to by the game that protected by Starforce!
            Excuse me, would you care to explain this sentence?

A driver update for StarForce can be downloaded from this page: http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=91

Comment

The driver update at http://www.star-force.com/protection.phtml?c=91 is just that, a driver update. You need to have the drivers actually installed before you can use the updater - you need 3.5 to install in x64.

Comment

I'm not using x64, so I couldn't try this, sorry. If there's no way to install a driver <v3.5 on x64, I don't know what else could be done.

However that would probably mean that you cannot install games at all if they have a pre-3.5 version of StarForce, no matter if they're theoretically x64-compatible?

Comment

You can install the game, and if you have a no cd crack or similar, you can run the game - but yes, you can't run starforce-protected games in x64 without modification. However, I'm told that if I can somehow get these drivers installed, then a few of those starforce games will run.

Comment

So the game will be installed, but the StarForce driver won't, if I understood this correctly, thus you cannot install the driver update either.

That would indeed mean you'll have to wait for the publisher to release a patch that installs the SF driver.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone knew of any games currently using Starforce 3.5 (the new and x64 compatible version).
                      Yep.

Comment

If you by example Spliner Cell 3, than you upgrade computer to AMD64 and install Win64, game not run! And you mast download patch for this game! And if no patch? Publisher will not release any path! And what can i do? Nothing!
                        And what version of starforce use driver 1.35? If last version from demo use drivers 1.32? Why starforce release driver 1.35? For what?

Comment

Okay, I misread your post to be of illegal nature, I apologize.

Thought you were talking about getting a working copy of a game, thus not needing to buy a game anymore; but I see that you were talking about not buying a game because it won't run anyway. Again, I'm sorry.

Comment

Please stop fanatic and kiddies posts:

"Oh mom i hate StarForce, StarForce is bad, not allow me to play my downloaded Warez games"

I hate you, kiddies and fanatics. Now, the real and brain answer is:

You need update your version of StarForce, StarForce is a driver if you install driver 3.5 of StarForce if you game install 3.2 if your game detect the new version no install it and use the 3.5. Solution, install a game using 3.5 or use the tool StarForce Updater located here for update your drivers:

Now, your game work.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dochilt
                              Solution, install a game using 3.5 or use the tool StarForce Updater
                              If you know of a game that uses StarForce 3.5 please point it out. I don't believe there are any right now. Also, updating is not possible because in order to update you need an existing version installed. However, from what I understand, the existing versions of StarForce cannot be installed on Win 64.

And if there is a game that uses StarForce 3.5 then why should someone have to buy it if all they need from it are the drivers for a different game.

Comment

Working...
                              X