• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Problem: stormbus.sys

Operating System: Win2000
    Burning Software: nero 6.6.0.1
    Anti-virus Software: AntiVir 6.29
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

I had DT running for months a while back.
    Then I had some trouble with spyware, and after dealing with the spyware, DT wouldn't run any more.

Now I wanted to reinstall DT. But the installation stops with the following error message: "Error writing to file: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\stormbus.sys. Verify that you have access to that directory".
    So I did exactly that. I opened the directory and looked for stormbus.sys - wasn't there. So I tried creating new files in that directory, for example a stormbus.txt file. When I try to do that, I get an error-msg saying some CRC-check failed.

After a little testing I found some file names I could create and some I could not, because of that CRC-check error.

Anyone any clues about this?

Since editing ist n ot allowed:

I assume stormbus.sys is a file that comes with DT. Am I correct?

Comment

Yes, but some really old, obsolete version, not v3.47, so better remove that old version first. If it's not in control panel -> software anymore check these threads:

ensure you removed all obsolete driver files (stormbus.sys, stormprt.sys), also search the registry for related entries, reboot after the procedure.
      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

So far thanx. But my problem is still unsolved.
        I followed both of your links. But I found nothing pointing to DT neither in the registry nor in the device manager.

Also I activated the install-log and from what I understand, the programm is trying to install the stormbus.sys and the stormprt.sys. (They are *not* on the harddisk at the moment).

From the install-log, Line 639 to 652:

MSI (s) (40:C8): Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=STORMBUS.SYS|stormbus.sys,Sour ceCabKey=_A7BDB994C34D418D88EFFA78D86ED008,DestNam e=stormbus.sys,Attributes=512,FileSize=155136,PerT ick=32768,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=3. 47.0.0,Language=0,Instal
        lMode=126353408,,,,,,)
        MSI (s) (40:C8): File: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys; To be installed; No patch; No existing file
        MSI (s) (40:C8): Source for file '_A7BDB994C34D418D88EFFA78D86ED008' is compressed
        InstallFiles: File: stormbus.sys, Directory: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\, Size: 155136
        MSI (s) (40:C8): Note: 1: 2318 2: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys
        MSI (s) (40:C8): Note: 1: 1304 2: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys
        DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorDialog
        The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2835. The arguments are: ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog,
        Error 1304. Error writing to file: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys. Verify that you have access to that directory.
        MSI (s) (40:C8): Product: DAEMON Tools -- Error 1304. Error writing to file: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys. Verify that you have access to that directory.

DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorDialog
        The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2835. The arguments are: ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog,

Comment

just possibly an ACL / permissions problem

These are probably all wrong suggestions, but I'm going to guess.

Can you boot into safe mode and close all your anti-spyware software AND your anti-virus software, and then still get an error creating a file in the C:\windows\SYSTEM32\Drivers folder? Are you an Administrator? Are there any access control lists that you remember setting? Maybe PGP or disk encryption software?
          Are there any old versions of DAEMON Tools in the %systemroot%\Downloaded Installations folder?

Try pasting this into a command prompt window:

cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\Drivers

then record the output and paste these lines one at a time just like above:

cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32
          cacls %systemroot%
          cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys

and while you're at it try this one too(your floppy disk driver is unrelated but I want to see the permissions of a file I can predict to be present in that folder)

cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\Drivers\FLPYDISK.SYS

and tell us what the output of each of those lines says (you don't need safe mode to do the above commands).

p.s. The word wrapping is getting pretty bad on this thread
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Re: just possibly an ACL / permissions problem

Originally Posted by Ohio813
            1) Can you boot into safe mode and close all your anti-spyware software AND your anti-virus software, and then still get an error creating a file in the C:\windows\SYSTEM32\Drivers folder?
            2) Are you an Administrator?
            3) Are there any access control lists that you remember setting? Maybe PGP or disk encryption software?
            4) Are there any old versions of DAEMON Tools in the %systemroot%\Downloaded Installations folder?
            (I added the numbers to the quote)

1) Yap. I still get the same error. Something about CRC-check failing
            2) Yap.
            3) None that I'm aware of.
            4) Indeed. I found a 3.46 .msi-file. I'm going to zip it and move it away.

Now I will try this cacls-thing.

Comment

Here is the output of the cacls'. (I use a german Win2000, so the output is partly in german. I could *try* translating it, if needed?)
              The error message for C:\>cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys was surprising (for me), I'll try to google something about it...

C:\>cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\Drivers
              C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\drivers VORDEFINIERT\Benutzer:R
              VORDEFINIERT\BenutzerOI)(CI)(IO)(Beschränkter Zugriff
              GENERIC_READ
              GENERIC_EXECUTE

VORDEFINIERT\Hauptbenutzer:R
              VORDEFINIERT\HauptbenutzerOI)(CI)(IO)(Beschränkter Zugriff
              GENERIC_READ
              GENERIC_EXECUTE

VORDEFINIERT\Administratoren:F
              VORDEFINIERT\AdministratorenOI)(CI)(IO)F
              NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM:F
              NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEMOI)(CI)(IO)F
              ERSTELLER-BESITZEROI)(CI)(IO)F

C:\>cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32
              C:\WINNT\system32 VORDEFINIERT\Benutzer:R
              GENERIC_READ
              GENERIC_EXECUTE

VORDEFINIERT\Hauptbenutzer:C
              VORDEFINIERT\HauptbenutzerOI)(CI)(IO)C
              Jeder:R

C:\WINNT VORDEFINIERT\Benutzer:R
              GENERIC_READ
              GENERIC_EXECUTE

VORDEFINIERT\Hauptbenutzer:C
              VORDEFINIERT\HauptbenutzerOI)(CI)(IO)C
              Jeder:R

C:\>cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\Drivers\stormbus.sys
              Fehler beim Einlagern einer Speicherseite.
              !!

C:\>cacls %systemroot%\SYSTEM32\Drivers\FLPYDISK.SYS
              C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\Drivers\flpydisk.sys VORDEFINIERT\Benutzer:R
              VORDEFINIERT\Hauptbenutzer:R

Comment

It worked

Well, well...

I googled the error-message, someone suggested chkdsk. chkdsk found index-problems, corrected them and thus broke my system which (lucky me) was repaired by the win2000 rollup.

And now even installing DT works fine and hopefully DT itself will work too.

Thx Ohio813 and Copytrooper for your input which let me on the right path

Comment

'A cyclic redundancy check (CRC) checksum error occurred'

Thank you for telling everyone how you solved the CRC error messages.
                  the modern world:
                  net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
                  X