• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Letter Choice

Operating System: Windows 2000
    Burning Software: DVDCopy
    Anti-virus Software: none
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Daemon tools wants to assign J as the virtual CD-ROM. This interferes with my Network Drives. I'd like to have it at boot choose drive Y which is available. How do I configure it to make Y as the Virtual CD-ROM drive?

settings available via the tray icon

What about using the DAEMON Tools tray icon... Virtual CD/DVD-ROM ... Device 0: ... Set device parameters ... There are two drop down comboboxes Drive Letter and DVD Region. Use the drive letter drop down
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Unfortunately this is bug in Windows mount point manager which assigns new drive letter over already existing network mapping.
      You can also run diskmgmt.msc to change the drive letters.
      Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
      They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Originally Posted by Copytrooper
        Unfortunately this is bug in Windows mount point manager which assigns new drive letter over already existing network mapping.
        You can also run diskmgmt.msc to change the drive letters.
        Thanks. Yes I thought maybe there was an ini that would choose the drive to begin with at boot but I guess not. It is choosing the first non-local disk letter it finds at boot for which diskmgmt is no help.

But now I have a different issue. I had to uninstall Daemon Tools because after I installed it my DVD-CD writing software no longer works. Oh it succeeds alright it's just that the CD-ROM is not usuable. I wrote a CDR put it in a Windows XP system and the Wizard to write to it appeared. Hence my Writing software is toast. So I have to start over.

When I installed Deamon tools I had to reboot. That's normal I guess. But when the system came back to the desktop I got a message that System Settings had changed and I had to reboot again. I didn't like that but there we go.

I think it was because of a new SCSI device in the registry either here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

or under here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es

Can you tell me how to get everything out that Daemon Tools may have installed including in the Registry and maybe how to get my System Configuration back to what it was prior to installing Dameon Tools? Thanks.

Comment

Un-installation via control panel -> software should remove Daemon Tools completely, reboot is required after un-installation though.
          Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
          They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

Here is the error I get now after writing to CD or DVD. After the writing succeeds and I try to see what I have written I get this error:

Drive not accessible Wrong Function.

Here is one Knowledge Base article on it but there are many more:

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

It turns out this is a problem with writing software or Hardware that goes all the way back to Windows NT 3.51. Microsoft has no fix for it. But I can tell you it is NOT the writing software. Nor my DVD Writer Plextor. My software Blind Read Write and DVD Copy had no problems at all prior to installing Deamon Tools. Now since I installed it and uninstalled it I have not been able to write anything at all.

So now I have to re-install the Operating System. I don't like doing that but oh well. The System Change that occurred after the Reboot after installing Daemon Tools caused this issue. I can't even run sfc anymore the system does not recognize the installation CD.

Microsoft has a Virtual CD-ROM application that is much nicer than this one.

Comment

the system does not recognize the installation CD

"the system does not recognize the installation CD" -- that is probably due to service packs. Or it could be an improper folder/path setting as described in this article (The default source path for my Windows 2000 (or XP) installation is not correct).

You can try to remove/uninstall the service pack (ex. Win 2000 SP4 or XP SP2) to match your install CD (for example, your Windows CD is probably not a slipstreamed version BUT if it is you sometimes need to match the install media's service pack with your current version). That shouldn't be required, so its in the category of bad windows bug. I've seen occasionally, and its never been fatal (needing a system-reinstall), hope that info helps you.
              the modern world:
              net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
              X