not asking for a release date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not asking for a release date

I've learned by now that asking for release dates are a waste of time, since they always result in everyones favorite answer "when it's done" (and now possibly a ban) :shock: , I don't blame you.

My question is "What needs to occur for daemon tools 4 to be concidered a finished product?" I've read that it needs to be "bug free", but how do you know when a piece of software is bug free until you try it out on a real end-user?

This quote comes to mind "Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!" --Edsger Dijkstra

Of course you can ask SUCH questions - we only don't want such crap-questions, otherwise we will never see the release of V4. We're
    pretty hard working atm

"What needs to occur for daemon tools 4 to be concidered a finished product?"
    That's easy to answer: all bugs WE(!) FOUND(!) must be fixed. bugs we DIDN'T
    found can't be fixed, right?

So it is for sure NEVER bug-free (and imho that could be said about EVERY
    software, everything more than a "hello-world"-program contain bugs - at least
    the programs I (!) code. We're not UBER-coders

atm, we found SOME bugs (not dozens of them) so I expect that we release
    soon. But should we find additional bug, then we will fix it. And if we now
    proclaim releasedate and we can't release it because of a heavy bug which
    can, f.e., destabilize the end-users system, then we delay the release and
    got BLAMED for it - don't you agree? So we think it's better to wait until
    we're sure our work is finished (or lets say, we THINK it's finished, after release we will find out how good we worked)

Comment

Re: not asking for a release date

Originally Posted by estimablesir
      (...)
      This quote comes to mind "Program testing can be used to show the presence of bugs, but never to show their absence!" --Edsger Dijkstra
      It can be said in another way : there're at least always two bugs in a program : the one that stays and the fact of thinking that the code is bug-free.

Locutus, you have a good way of life
      Carpe diem

Comment

Originally Posted by LocutusofBorg
        We're not UBER-coders
        - Objection!

Gee, why do I keep hitting the "edit" button instead of the "reply" one?!
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

I beg to differ, you ARE UBER-coders If you guys aren't uber, I don't know who is. Objection sustained!

Oh and yes, I do agree, you should be sure that all the bugs you found are fixed before you announce release, now if only ALL software developers could adapt the same mentality

Comment

Say that to Blizzard and their God Damned World of Warcraft! xD
            A very sufficent signature.

Comment

Working...
            X