Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between DT Pro and V4?

Greeting,

Could someone fresh me up with the difference?

Birger_Nord
    Click here to visit my website.]

Just read the forums, news, ...! Everything we're currently willing to tell has already been told way too often because people are too lazy to use the search button.

Go through the forums, check the thread titles only on each first page of a subforum... You'll find LOADS of questions asking about this.

Questions implying stuff like "I know there's a lot of information here, could you please point me to it" or even "please sum it up for me so I don't have to search", questions like "when will the new version be released?", "could you please send me the beta version?" etc. etc. etc. pp. ad nauseam eat up HOURS - literally - of our time every day. And the public messages (i.e. forum posts) are only a small percentage of it, think about PMs, emails, and the likes and you know why Daemon Tools v4 hasn't been released already. Or v5, for that matter.

USE YOUR OWN BRAIN, DON'T ABUSE THAT OF OTHER PEOPLE!
    "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Sorry then, and thank you for the AWESOME frienly attitude!

Comment

I don't find it particularly easy to get a good idea of the differences between DT Pro and V4 - I'm not even sure I have a good idea of the difference between DT Pro and 3.x.

As best as I can tell, The main new thing that's in DT Pro over DT 4 is the ability to create images. It's not clear to me how far the image creation feature will support copy-protected disks, but I'd guess that that will be supported to at least some extent. I think that DT Pro will remove the limit of 4 emulated drives. Also, DT Pro will have commercial, payment-required licensing only.

One of the big new features over DT 3.x (for both DT Pro and non-Pro, I assume) is the ability to emulate IDE drives.

And, of course, improvements in emulation/blacklist avoidance.

Comment

just take a look at those awesome screens they posted for DT pro.

actually I'd like to know how far the image creation ability goes too. I wonder if i can throw out my copy of Alcohol.

Comment

Originally Posted by mwb1100
            I don't find it particularly easy to get a good idea of the differences between DT Pro and V4 - I'm not even sure I have a good idea of the difference between DT Pro and 3.x.
            Alright, I'll sum up the differences. Sorry if I overreacted in the last post, it's just getting annyoing that most people just don't consider it necessary to do a search before posting; it seriously keeps us from working.

As best as I can tell, The main new thing that's in DT Pro over DT 4 is the ability to create images. It's not clear to me how far the image creation feature will support copy-protected disks, but I'd guess that that will be supported to at least some extent. I think that DT Pro will remove the limit of 4 emulated drives. Also, DT Pro will have commercial, payment-required licensing only.

One of the big new features over DT 3.x (for both DT Pro and non-Pro, I assume) is the ability to emulate IDE drives.
            Yes, DT Pro will be capable of creating images. Of course we'll support copy protections not only for the emulation part of DT Pro, but for ripping too, so you can expect most - if not all - copy protections to be supported.

However, the virtual IDE drive plugin will be Pro-only, as will many other plugins. DT v4 will be able to do the same as DT v3 - mount images created with third-party software (or DT Pro, for that matter) and circumvent copy protections. The changes between v3 and v4 are in the code, not in the features. It's been rewritten from scratch, but it's going to have the same abilites.

Comment

1. i did a search after the first post of you NetSoerfer, but could find any. So thank you all for the answears.

But you can just manage mounting with DT Pro only, or do you need DT V4?

Thank you again

Comment

comparing and general questions about DAEMON Tools 4.0 version number

Originally Posted by Birger_Nord
                I don't understand your question. They both are version 4. Except Pro makes images, takes plugins, and burns. Nobody said it will be called Pro 1.0. There isn't an official version of it such as "v4" but it will be based upon v4 with a few new features tacked on.

If you take windows as an example Windows XP Pro compared to Windows XP Home Edition. Once upgraded to the Pro version nobody needs to also use the Home Edition because XP Professional has all the features of XP Home Edition and more. You don't need both. -- I think that example made sense

Here's a question I don't know the answer to, will the freeware version of 4 run side by side with DT Pro or will you have to pick one or the other (and uninstall freeware 4.0 before installing DT Pro)?

Will DT Pro be as easily skinnable as Winamp?
                the modern world:
                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Re: comparing and general questions about DAEMON Tools 4.0 version number

Originally Posted by Ohio813
                  Nobody said it will be called Pro 1.0.
                  Perhaps the fact that the picture here says Daemon Tools Pro 1.0 makes us think that's what it is.
                  Goodnight Brave Warrior, Goodnight Monster-land..

Comment

oops .. ver number does say 1.0

Oh :oops: you're right.
                    the modern world:
                    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Originally Posted by Ohio813
                      Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 18:17 Post subject: comparing and general questions about DAEMON Tools 4.0 version number

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by Birger_Nord

I don't understand your question. They both are version 4. Except Pro makes images, takes plugins, and burns. Nobody said it will be called Pro 1.0. There isn't an official version of it such as "v4" but it will be based upon v4 with a few new features tacked on.

If you take windows as an example Windows XP Pro compared to Windows XP Home Edition. Once upgraded to the Pro version nobody needs to also use the Home Edition because XP Professional has all the features of XP Home Edition and more. You don't need both. -- I think that example made sense

Here's a question I don't know the answer to, will the freeware version of 4 run side by side with DT Pro or will you have to pick one or the other (and uninstall freeware 4.0 before installing DT Pro)?

Will DT Pro be as easily skinnable as Winamp?
                      The Windows example was describing it good!

To a question: Whats the difference between virtual and physical cd/dvd?(From screen.)

Comment

physical: relating to things percieved through the senses as opposed to the mind; tangible or concrete.
                        virtual: [Computing] not physically existing as such but made by software to appear to do so.
                        (taken from Concise Oxford English Dictionary)

...and this already explains the difference. Physical drives are the optical drives you actually have in your computer, CD-ROM/RW-, and DVD-ROM/RW drives, from manufacturers as LG, Lite-On, Plextor, Sony, Toshiba, etc.

As opposed to those, virtual drives are drives that don't exist as hardware but are made by software to appear to do so, i.e. the drives created by Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120% and the likes.

By the way, if you have a look at Alcohol 120%'s drive listing, you may notice that Daemon Tools' virtual drives are listed as physical drives. That's because we strive to make it impossible to recognize virtual drives as such (so they can't be blocked by copy protections), and even Alcohol 120% isn't able to detect Daemon Tools' drives.

Comment

Thanks for the answear

Comment

Working...
                          X