2x optical drives

Here the facts:
    - A DVD-ISO image mounted with DT
    - Before unmount, deleted the image from HD
    - Little freeze, then I accessed the DT icon to unmount image
    - Image unmounted, windows freeze.
    - Task manager and terminated daemon process
    - Windows immediately restarts and then:
    After the bios (All HW recognized), win splash screen then reboot in 10sec, in infinite loop.
    I've tried all options: last good conf, prompt mode, etc. Same result except from a message asking if load d347bus.sys or not. Always reboot.
    Booting with my WinXP CD I can't get the restore console: freeze analizing the disk subsystem..
    Tried to "soft" reinstall windows: freeze analizing the disk subsystem
    The system is unusable.

I had to destroy the RAID (from BIOS), loosing all data, and recreate it.

Now,
    I suppose the RAID architecture failed to keep data integrity during the reset, but I've made million hardware reset before, and never a problem.
    How can be DT made a so desctructive operation while was terminated from task manager??

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

btw: i'm going to HW check the 2 drives, because in RAID 0 a single failure disk mean failure of the entire RAID..

Check complete

Hi,
    no damage on the 2 drives, now employed as singles drives.

The answer it's the same: How can DT make a so desctructive operation while was terminated from task manager??

Comment

Re: DTools terminated and Windows gone

It is not possible to close DAEMON Tools via any program. It runs a system driver. The only way to remove the driver is to modify the registry and reboot and THEN the driver won't be loaded at startup. You must have simply closed the DAEMON Tools tray icon, as drivers cannot be closed nor do they appear in the windows task manager.

And a user-mode application isn't usually able to be destructive.
      the modern world:
      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

On NT 5.x drivers can actually be started and shut down without rebooting: either from Device Manager (specially non-plug and play drivers) or from command line (net stop xxx).

Don't try this with DT though if you have anything mounted, for example leaving memory-mapped files open and then terminating the driver is an easy way to cause a BSOD. Naturally this requires administrator rights so don't blame Microsoft - the culprit is the guy between the chair and keyboard ^_-

User mode applications running WITHOUT superuser privileges can't cause any damage to the system in modern opearating systems and even if you ran DT as an administrator I still find it very hard to believe that DT caused all this.

What RAID controller did you use?
        Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

Re: DTools terminated and Windows gone

Ok, I'm straying a little off topic here...

Originally Posted by JariK-Tietomedia
          On NT 5.x drivers can actually be started and shut down without rebooting: either from Device Manager (specially non-plug and play drivers) or from command line (net stop xxx)
          If you try net pause or net stop with DAEMON Tools you'll see "The requested pause or stop is not valid for this service" and you'll notice that DAEMON Tools is not listed in the services control panel.

Regarding device manager, you think if I right click my sound card and disable it then right click and uninstall it that I can delete the driver files and they won't be in use or anything after doing so? It just seems a little far fetched, but I'm not saying you're not right.
          the modern world:
          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Working...
          X