Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much resources would it cost to increase the number of devices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much resources would it cost to increase the number of devices?

Operating System: Windows XP
    Burning Software: NERO
    Anti-virus Software: V3
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

My questions are two.
    1. How much additional recources will cost for increasing the number of devices by one? For more specific, memory consumption and CPU usage.

2.How much additional system resources will cost if I load a CD image into DEMON tools compared to when there's no CD image on the virtual drive? (Assuming there's no read operations on the drive.)

Thanks.

perfmon and what exact system resources are used by DAEMON Tools

My quick answer seems to regard both your #1 and #2.

If I may hazard a guess, since the hard work is being done at the driver level -- zero resources except for a little bit of RAM and paging file space. If you use Sysinternals Process Explorer you'll just see two handles used for DAEMON Tools listed under the SYSTEM process. Maybe there's more ways to track resources I don't know of... If you're really worried about things, just exit out of the tray icon program when you're done with it. That probably takes up the resources of mounting images on 20 different virtual drives (this is just a guess, so I hope my assumption about almost null resources is right)

If you've got buggy applications in the foreground constantly accessing drives purposelessly and without your knowledge then surely you'll see a spike in CPU usage.

And you know how to use perfmon, right?
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Re: How much resources would it cost to increase the number of devices?

Operating System: .
      Burning Software: .
      Anti-virus Software: .
      DAEMON Tools Version: .

Originally Posted by typingcat
      Operating System: Windows XP
      Burning Software: NERO
      Anti-virus Software: V3
      DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

My questions are two.
      1. How much additional recources will cost for increasing the number of devices by one? For more specific, memory consumption and CPU usage.

2.How much additional system resources will cost if I load a CD image into DEMON tools compared to when there's no CD image on the virtual drive? (Assuming there's no read operations on the drive.)

Thanks.
      1) None. As Ohio813 said, it's a driver so it doesn't need a lot of resources to run.

2) No more so than putting any other CD/DVD in a physical drive, but without the additional power or time needed to spin up the disc and activate the reading laser.

Comment

Each drive actually consumes around 512kB RAM, so nothing special. Doesn't matter if an image is mounted or not.
        Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
        They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

512KB? Are you sure? That seems a little high. I would have expected it closer to 30-50KB.

Comment

Working...
          X