PDA

View Full Version : How to make better Backups ?!

theshadow
19.02.2003, 20:48
Hi there !

I know that a working backup depends a lot on the reading/writing hardware.
I already made successful backups for Sim City 4, Gothic 2, Fifa 2003, C&C Generals with my CD Recorder which is ironically a SONY CD-RW CRX 1611 (you know, cuz Sony develops Securom).

The Problem is that e.g. Fifa 2003 and C&C Generals only start if I insert the backup into this Sony CD-RW.
If I try to start one of the games with the CD inserted into my DVD-ROM (16x);
INSERT INTO `portal_posts_text` VALUES
it fails to start without even a notice (I'd expect a "please insert the correct CD" notification, but nothing pops up).

So I guess, since my DVD-ROM is pretty much noname it fails to read the CD as an "original" cd.

So what can I do to improve the backup, so it works on all drives ??

Slower Image reading spead or slower writing spead or disabling Fast Error Skipping ??

Thanks in advance

The Shadow

LocutusofBorg
19.02.2003, 23:37
Fifa2003 and C&C Generals are both protected with SafeDisk2, this means, that the protections include so-called "weak sectors".

It depends strongly on the writer to create a really good backup. You can f.e. use Alcohols "Bypass EFM-Errors" (or CloneCD's "amplifiy weak sectors")-option to MAYBE (!) create a backup that run from DVD-Drive or other non-working drives.

The reason is, that your writer is maybe not capable to write such sectors correctly, you can proof this by yourself:

Start f.e. CloneCD and activate the Log and try to read the Backup using your DVD-ROM; if ANY error appears BELOW sector 800 the problem is your cd-writer, it writes the "weak sectors" not correctly. Try than the above mentioned advices and try again to read the new created backup with your DVD-Drive.

theshadow
20.02.2003, 06:06
Thanks for your help.

But "EFM-FEHLER AUSBESSERN" (German Version of Alcohol) is chosen at default for the Safedisc 2 Profil. So it's already been turned on.
AND: When I start reading an Image off the backup, my dvd-drive encounters the first error at Sector 825. So it's not below 800.

That's strange. But I guess it still must be my writer, cuz Images work just fine and every time by mounting them with Daemon-tools.

Any other ideas ??

Maybe turn "EFM FEHLER AUSBESSERN" off ??

The Shadow

LocutusofBorg
20.02.2003, 10:14
I'm such an Idiot :)

SafeDisc-Protection checks for the "correct" drive, that means, you must INSTALL and PLAY from the SAME drive, that's the reason, why your copys not run from dvd-drive. I bet you installed them from burner, uninstall the game and install it new from your dvd-drive, then it should work! If your copy doesn't contain read errors below sector 800 than everything is fine!

Although this is one of the first questions I ask, I'm sorry for the confusion here :oops:

OlivierFromFrance
20.02.2003, 12:01
You can also modify the key in the registry base which make reference to the cd reader location .

Just look for the name of the cd (or the name of the installation folder) and you will find a set of keys with one or 2 which make reference to for example f:\ or g:\ ..., you can replace f:\ by g:\ for example .

This works with 99.99 % of games .

theshadow
20.02.2003, 16:09
No No, it's not that.

I know about that registry stuff and guess what:

I installed Generals from my DVD Drive and can't play from it, but I can from my CD-RW.

Weird, huh ?

TheShadow

NetSoerfer
20.02.2003, 21:13
I can confirm that, Generals doesn't seem to check for the drive the CD has been put into. I installed from my Alcohol VDrive, and I can play from the Alcohol VDrive, the Daemon-Tools VDrive and from my hardware CDVD drives.

slydog
22.02.2003, 10:17
No No, it's not that.

I know about that registry stuff and guess what:

I installed Generals from my DVD Drive and can't play from it, but I can from my CD-RW.

Weird, huh ?

TheShadowThis is not unusual and I'm surprised Locutus does not remember this issue with Plextors some time ago. A SD2 protected image, read from a Toshiba 1402 or 1502, with Software EC turned on (CloneCD) will, most times, not play anywhere but the Toshiba DVD-ROM.

OlivierFromFrance
22.02.2003, 20:25
Does it work if you emulate safedisc in Daemon Menu ?

LocutusofBorg
23.02.2003, 06:39
This is not unusual and I'm surprised Locutus does not remember this issue with Plextors some time ago. A SD2 protected image, read from a Toshiba 1402 or 1502, with Software EC turned on (CloneCD) will, most times, not play anywhere but the Toshiba DVD-ROM.

Oh, I DID remember this issue :wink: , but he stated that he got NONE error below Sector 800, so it has nothing to do with the weaksectors for sure - except they added weak sectors above Sector 800, but I never heard about something like that.

He could read the disk correctly even on dvd-rom, so I think it's another problem, but it's only guess.
And he already tryed out the Emulation. No, I think the problem is more complicated than burner-related. But that's only my opinion :)