• Show
Clear All

• BAD IMAGE ERROR

Operating System: Windows XP SP2
    Burning Software: Nero
    Anti-virus Software: unknown
    DAEMON Tools Version: DAEMON Tools 3.47

Hello,

I have been using daemon tools for quite sometime now and never had any problems, so I recommended daemon tools a friend of mine, and all hell broke lose.

After he rebooted it automatically started to run chkdisk, I don't know what it said when running chkdisk. He said something like it found corrupted files.. then chkdisk automatically fixed them.. after that when he booted up in to Windows his destop was blank (no icons) and got a error message saying

"services.exe"
    \system32\OLEAUT32.DLL is not a valid windows image.
    Please check this against your installation diskett

It said the same thing "<file> not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskett, for all these files as well:
    userinit.exe,
    explorer.exe,
    lsass.exe,
    oleaut32.dll,
    taskmgr.exe

Couldn't get any of his desktop icons to appear when running windows normally or in safemode. He did a restore to last good known configuration (or whatever the proper wording is) when you hit F8 on bootup.

Pretty much this all happened after he rebooted when he installed daemon tools.

Only thing he can do is ctrl + alt & del to pop up task manager when in windows (normal windows or safemode).
    I thought maybe he could alt + f in task manager to bring up a "run" window and maybe device manager or add remove programs to uninstall daemon tools but still got the same error msgs each time and neither of the device manager or add/remove programs windows poped up ...

Im not a complete newbie with computers but I feel like one cuz I honestly dont know what the problem is.

I need some help on this one please

_mykeeX

The easiest way is to restore system files or the entire installation from backup.
    If corrupted, registry can be restored from Backup "system state".

No backup? Another way is to run "sfc /scannow" with the Windows CD in drive, this will repair all corrupted system files. If this won't fix it, time for reinstall - this time teach your friend about backups!
    Win2k3 & OSX Intel, 2GB DDR400 P4 2.6@3.55 H2O, 7800 GTX @480/1250 H2O, 1x74GB Raptor, 8x400GB RAID5

Comment

Working...
    X