Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 D-Tools 3.29 Win98SE Installations 1 Stable 1 Not Stable

One Crashes and One Does Not - Both Win98SE Machines Setup the Same

I have two Win98SE installations of D-Tools 3.29 that access CD Clone-based CD images from a central Samba server running on Linux.

At one point both Win98SE machines ran D-Tools fine. One Win98SE installation has since stopped working and each time I load a CD image for a game (usually EA-based games, all of which I have the original CD for) I get the following fatal blue screen error.

Fatal Error 0D 0028:C165C661

The machine becomes unusable after that point and must be rebooted.

All options on both machines are the same, no obvious viruses.

I have a standard CD (a giveaway from a computer conference) that I converted and that image works fine on the problem Win98SE machine.

I am really stumped. Any suggestions?

-- Mache Creeger

This happens immeditely after mount or when you run the game?

Comment

Re: 2 D-Tools 3.29 Win98SE Installations 1 Stable 1 Not Stab

I looked for cdrom.inf or cdrom.pnf on my Win98SE CD. No such files exist on either machine.

-- Mache

Originally Posted by Mache Creeger
      One Crashes and One Does Not - Both Win98SE Machines Setup the Same

I have two Win98SE installations of D-Tools 3.29 that access CD Clone-based CD images from a central Samba server running on Linux.

At one point both Win98SE machines ran D-Tools fine. One Win98SE installation has since stopped working and each time I load a CD image for a game (usually EA-based games, all of which I have the original CD for) I get the following fatal blue screen error.

Fatal Error 0D 0028:C165C661

The machine becomes unusable after that point and must be rebooted.

All options on both machines are the same, no obvious viruses.

I have a standard CD (a giveaway from a computer conference) that I converted and that image works fine on the problem Win98SE machine.

I am really stumped. Any suggestions?

-- Mache Creeger

Comment

Problems happen immediately after a mount. The game CDs never show any start dialog boxes on the problem machine. Things just crash immediately.

Both the game CD images and the standard data CD images have autruns on them. The standard data CD image mounts and starts up just fine on the problem machine.

-- Mache

Originally Posted by VeNoM386
        This happens immeditely after mount or when you run the game?

Comment

I was unable to find cdrom.inf or cdrom.pnf on the Win98SE CD. No file exists on either machine. Can someone send me a file?

-- Mache

Comment

In Win9x it is called mscdrom.inf.

Comment

I have EXACTLY the same problem as poster ..

Im running d-tools on two different networks .. seems to work fine over a NetBEUI system .. the problems are on my TCP network ..
              Im running machines towards a Win98SE "server" on one net and a WinXPPro on the other .. On the Xp net NetBEUI has been removed as an option in network protocols so i had to make the change from NetBEUI to TCP on that end .. Hope this helps .. I sure would like to see it fixed ..

Thx for a great program guys ..

Linkdead !!

Comment

I removed the 3.29 .. manually in registry .. and installed the 3.26 .. seems at first glance to do the trick ..

Try that ...

Comment

Nope that didnt do it .. Back to the same shite .. It seems a matter of luck if it works after a reboot .. sometimes it just crashes at the instant it tries to start the old app .. or at least when it tries to initialise the trayicon .
                  This does seem to happen only when you have mapped cd's through the network ... I have the same error now with 3.26 as with 3.29 .. kinda depressing ..
                  Sometimes it gets through mounting but then if i right click "my computer" and try to open an explorer the same error occurs .. if i dubbeltclick the icon to open my computer it freezes while opening the window !!

Comment

Been working to solve the problem for more than 3 hours now .. driving me nuts hehe .. plz help ..

Comment

>I have EXACTLY the same problem as poster ..

I don't see anything similar in your problem. He got problems after mount while you have it after reboot. Have you tried to disable 'Automount' option in Daemon Tools?

Comment

Gosh, I didn't mean to start such a fuss. My problem happens on mount. I can consistently mount a non-game CD images just fine on both machines. Both machines run TCP only, no NETBEUI anywhere on my LAN.

The thing that scares me is that it is so consistent.

-- Mache

Comment

I always mount images across netwowk via TCPIP from Win2000 Advanced Server. Never got such error you describe. This must be some soft or driver issue. Is network card the same on both machines?

Comment

> This must be some soft or driver issue. Is network card the same on both machines?

The NIC on the problem machine is a Linksys Etherfast (version 5.1) with the latest Linksys driver.

The non-problem machine has a noname ethernet card (Unicom).

All other TCP networking functions SMB, DNS, HTTP, FTP, DHCP, PING, SMTP, POP run just fine on both machines.

I will try to copy a problem CD image to the local hard drive of the problem machine and see if it runs that way rather than over SMB to the Linux Samba Server.

Any other suggestions on how to "diff" two Win98SE configurations?

-- Mache

Comment

New information.

I copied a ConeCD CD game image (CUE, CCD, IMB, SUB) from the Linux server to the local hard drive of the problem machine and the mount indeed worked and the game started.

When I tried to mount the same image from the Linux server samba networked volume on the problem machine, I got a blue crash screen:

A fatal exception 0D has occured at 0028:C165A6AE the current application will be terminated.

* Press any key to terminate the current application
                              * Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart your computer. You will lose any unsave information in all applications

Press any key to continue

Pressing a key resulting in a desktop view with a small diaglog box from Daemon Tools stating "Please Wait"

There is no way to close the box and the keyboard seems to be disabled - mouse still works. When I do a CTRL+ALT+DEL to get an "End Task", "Shutdown", "Cancel" process management box. The keyboard remains locked

The keyboard remains locked even if I choose to "End Task" the Daemon-Tools process.

Any suggestions??

-- Mache

Comment

Working...
                              X