PDA

View Full Version : Is bitsetting (changing book-type) important?

Nikos
15.10.2005, 03:08
Alcohol has an option to change the book-type of DVD+Rs from "DVD+R" to "DVD-ROM". It works fine with my drive (a NEC ND-3520 with modified 3.06bt firmware), but I wonder; why does Alcohol provide for such a function? Is it important for game backups? I thought it's only useful for playing DVD-Video on set-top boxes? Confused... :?

LocutusofBorg
17.10.2005, 03:09
afaik, it's only important for a bunch of standalone dvdplayers which can't
interprete the DVD+R or DVD-R correct - although they're able to focus
the laser to the second layer correct. It's only that those players are build
before the final specs for DVD+R exists - mostly really old players are
affected. To my best knowledge I can't answer if it is already in use by
game protections, however, as many dvd-writers offer you to change
booktype, this check isn't very helpfull imho

Nikos
17.10.2005, 05:59
Hmm. Given the fact that even when the book-type is set to DVD-ROM when burning a DVD+R (you can't really change the book-type of DVD-R media*) the *media* type can still be detected as DVD+R, it doesn't make much sense for PC drives.

It seems Alcohol provides this option just for the "coolness factor".

* You can, but only if you create a new session on the disc.

Kitna
17.10.2005, 15:10
Hmm. Given the fact that even when the book-type is set to DVD-ROM when burning a DVD+R (you can't really change the book-type of DVD-R media*) the *media* type can still be detected as DVD+R, it doesn't make much sense for PC drives.

It seems Alcohol provides this option just for the "coolness factor".

* You can, but only if you create a new session on the disc.
Some older standalone players will not play the DVD if it's booktype is not set to DVD-ROM. No "coolness" factor involved.

Nikos
17.10.2005, 18:35
It seems Alcohol provides this option just for the "coolness factor".Some older standalone players will not play the DVD if it's booktype is not set to DVD-ROM. No "coolness" factor involved.Standalone players can't run games for PC-DVD in the first place.

Kitna
25.10.2005, 01:08
Standalone players can't run games for PC-DVD in the first place.
True, Alcohol can burn more than just game DVD's.

Missed this thread in the change over ;)

Nikos
25.10.2005, 01:44
True, Alcohol can burn more than just game DVD's.

Missed this thread in the change over ;)Anyway, my question's been answered. No point in changing book-type for game DVDs. (When I first heard about "bitsetting", I thought this could be used as a "hide ATIP" for DVDs; which doesn't make much sense of course, since no DVD protection tries to read the ATIP. It just asks the drive about the media type. :rolleyes:)