• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My CDROM is MISSING i did the steps in #8 Common Problems thread

Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    Burning Software: None
    Anti-virus Software: None
    DAEMON Tools Version: 3.47

Daemon Tools was installed by me so i could mount an image and view it, it was National Treasure or another movie not sure, i did this and a friend recommended this program. So i tried it and there was some error (don't remember, hopefully doesnt matter) anyway... i uninstalled it and tried to just play starcraft or something and i needed the cd and it wouldn't detect my cdrom and its not showing up in bios or device manager, i dont know what the version of daemon tools was at the time i used it, but i installed it and load one virtual drive just so i can see in it My Computer, makes me feel happy.

The drive doesnt work of course, it's not the CDROM drive either i've tried two and both don't show up until i load one virtual drive.

I've tried the steps in common problems thread #8 and well I didnt even see the Upper Filter folder in the registry and all i saw was the Lower Class one.
    The Lower Filter folder had this inside it PxHelp20. Thats it, other things in this other than Lower Filter are Class, EnumPropPages32, Icon, Installer32, LowerFilters, NoInstallClass, SilentInstall, TroubleShooter-0

Please if anyone could help i've had this problem forever, i always thought it was daemon tools that did this but, when i told my friend, just said i'm an idiot and daemon tools cannot do that. i insisted calling my cdrom manufacturer at 18003470000 or something like that the 347 isnt it i just winged that and they said the cdrom is broken, clearly isn't because 2 cdrom drives have this problem and after using daemon tools, this problem started, again i am rambling but i really want to get this problem resolved giving whoever is going to help me (hopefully) with the most information i possibly can give/remember. Thanks alot everyone : ) I'll check this thread tomorrow in school around 12ish hopefully you guys have an answer by then, if not i'll be patient, problem has happened for like 5 months :/

What exactly did you try?
    The procedures mentioned in linked Microsoft article?
    Everybody be cool! You, be cool!
    They'll keep fighting! And they'll win!

Comment

yeah i did those then realized that after installing xp, not daemon tools, so i undid everything cause i did the savekey.reg or something like that and did the other one, not the link the one below it

in other words, i did both, the link and below it

Comment

help meh out z0r

Comment

please i need some help, i'll try to post my image what i see and stuff like that

not too artistic, but when i set the number of devices at 0, there is no cdrom in the device manager or in my computer, it shows the cdrom in my computer and in device manager when its enabled though :/

Comment

I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is :? How many CD-ROM drives do you have in your computer? Can you list all your burning software? Your real CD-ROM drives don't appear at all unless you have 1 or more virtual drives enabled withing daemon tools? Hmm. Have you ensured your CD-ROM drives are not to blame by installing them inside another desktop computer? I assume this does not happen with a fresh install of windows XP (though I'm not recommending that).

p.s. Your image was very small and didn't enlarge or anything.
            the modern world:
            net helpmsg 4006

Comment

bah i try to be descriptive as possible, but since you dont understand i'll be glad to help you understand so you can help me out, i appreciate you taking your time to do so.

1 cdrom in my computer

I've tried two cdroms, 1 this happened to, and one that works definitely, in this computer and the one in it now works for sure and it doesnt show up like my last one, i'm guessing DT messed up something in my registry but i donno what i'm talking about prolly.

I don't want to resort to reformatting unless i'll have it...

I have nero 6 express or something like that but i've never used it... even though i have a cd-rw

"Your real CD-ROM drives don't appear at all unless you have 1 or more virtual drives enabled withing daemon tools?" - Exactly.

Comment

Re: My CDROM is MISSING i did the steps in Common Problems and Solutions thread entitled My real cdrom/dvdrom drives are

I have to say this problem seems complicated. The easiest solution seems to be forget re-installing windows and just always leave 1 virtual drive enabled ( :wink: ). But I wouldn't be happy accepting that kind of work around solution on my computer.

Are your currently installed CD-ROM drives showing up inside your BIOS? You could try uninstalling your primary and secondary IDE channel using the device manager and reboot immediately afterwards (use device manager - and of course make a system backup before doing risky stuff like this, though I've done it a few times and don't think its risky)

Read this link from the Common Problems and Solutions forum and post all the drivers your real CD/DVD-ROM's are using (ex. cdrom.sys, storprop.dll, and redbook.sys) - that thread explains about viewing what cd/dvd-rom drivers are being used. Also check to see that the drivers listed for DAEMON Tools' Virtual CD/DVD-ROM are identical.
                the modern world:
                net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Well, you can try it the "hard" way, shutdown, disconnect your drives, boot into Windows, shutdown again, re-connect your drives, boot again -> Windows should re-detect the drives.

Comment

I Forgot to mention this weird problem

ever since this has happened, i restart and it prompts me to install a printer, i don't even have a printer, i think its telling me that my cdrom wants it's love back

is it showing up in BIOS? - Nope.

about the drivers...
                    These drivers are installed on the virtual cdrom
                    cdrom.sys imapi.sys PxHelp20.sys redbook.sys storprop.dll

Going to try the uninstallation of my IDE drives

Comment

Re: My CDROM is MISSING i did the steps in Common Problems and Solutions thread entitled My real cdrom/dvdrom drives are

I was mentioning channels, not drives nor controllers.

p.s. The BIOS issue seems to explain it all
                      the modern world:
                      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

oops, just realized Copytrooper was talking about removing/redetecting the drives :wink:
                        the modern world:
                        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

any other solutions besides reformatting?

i tried to reinstall the controllers, i have two hard drives, 20gb winxp drive
                          and a 250gb game/movie/tvshow drive

my 250gb is a sata drive, for some reason when i uninstalled the controlled (secondary ide, my cdrom is on it ONLY CDROM) my 250gb sata drive was uninstalled (nothing lost of course).

that seems weird to me, any other possibilities that i can do to getting my stuff fixed? i appreciate anything at all :o

Comment

Uhm, what is not showing in BIOS? The cd/dvd-drive(s) or the printer port?
                            Without the drives getting detected on BIOS level it won't work in Windows for sure.

Comment

Operating System: .
                              Burning Software: .
                              Anti-virus Software: .
                              DAEMON Tools Version: .

You could try a repair install of Windows.

1) Restart your computer with the XP disc in and press a key when prompted
                              2) After setup goes through it's startup routine, choose to install (ENTER) on the first prompt
                              3) Press F8 to accept the license agreement on the next page
                              4) At this screen, you should get an option to press R to automatically repair Windows. Choose this.

Go through the prompts, inserting your product key when requested. You may have to install some drivers and any service packs not already integrated on your disc (best to have those downloaded ahead of time).

Comment

Working...
                              X