HDD slow after xp mce 2005 rollup update 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD slow after xp mce 2005 rollup update 2

I installed a new HDD in windows XP MCE 2005. I cloned my "old" one to my new one (200 GB with 8MB buffer, 7200 rpm, Seagate). So far, zo good.

After XP MCE rollup update 2 (published last week by MS) the pc boots really sloooooooooow.

I've looket for the disk-cache setting, and it's enabled. When I analyze the bootproces with "bootvis" (tool from ms), it give's me the warning that the disk isn't using disk-cache.

Has anybody got the same problem after this rollup update 2?
    If so, any suggestions about how to solve this problem?

Thx!

The first thing I'd look after in your situation were the IDE busmaster drivers. Reinstall them after the update. Maybe you're using standard drivers again.
    The Boardzombie's website.

Comment

I've reinstalled AGP drivers, IDE drivers, and even a bios update that adresses an IDE issue. But... problem remains.

Anybody?

Comment

Just to make sure to understand... your problems showed up after the MCE update, or after 'cloning' and installing the disk?

Comment

Ultimate solution

Sorry for this late reply. Had some trouble logging in.

Yes, it was after the reboot to complete mce2005 rollup update 2. Nothing else changed.

I've solved the problem : it would take me more time (one of the things I don't have = time) to find the problem then to reinstall windows. So I backed up all my personal files and reinstalled windowsMCE2005 with the rollup update 2. All of this took me 5 hours. Now al works like it should be.

I think it was the problem you mentioned : the chipset device drivers where overwritten, but the system didn't let me update them (SIS 648 chipset with ide-driver siside.sys).

Short : I don't know what went wrong by installing the update the first time. Perhaps after few weeks the problem repeats itself. I'll keep you informed.

Comment

If UDMA isn't enabled, it will be slow.

Comment

Working...
            X