A few words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few words

I have to say, after reading all of the posts from people wanting to know when v4 is coming out, and from those who tell them to shut the heck up... I understand both sides of the issue for the most part.

DT staff have worked hard. This is true. We DO appreciate what they're doing, and we're glad they're taking all of the bugs (that they can find) out of version 4 before it's released. This is great news!

I, like many others, am anxiously awaiting the new release. I have not, however, been on here demanding to know when it is coming out, what is taking so long, and all the other topics like that I have seen. It really should stop.

BUT!

At the same time, I do feel that the daemon tools staff could take at least a small moment out of their busy schedules to update the rest of us on the progress they're making. They know there are thousands of people waiting and wondering, yet news is few and far between. It wouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes to do at the very least, a weekly update on progress, expected delivery time...etc . This would definately stop ALL of the whining about When is it coming!! WHEN IS IT COMING!! People would actually have a bit of information to go by instead of a month old post saying sometime in october.

Please do not look at this as a whining post, I am definately not whining, I just think that the staff could be a little bit more curteous to so many people who're waiting on their every move.

Thank you for a great set of tools DStaff, it's very much appreciated, just please, take a little more time to update us instead of once a month as has been the norm. Everyone, including me would appreciate it.
    Last edited by Jax2; 24.10.2005, 10:49.

i agree with you totaly... but let me ask you this.
    if this report writing delays dt4 by a day or two, is it worth it ;-)

some very good points made, but just looking at another.

hehe, another idea would be to have a progress bar indication at the top of the main page... just a rough one would suffice i think ;-)

i think that would work just as well. I know it works for game mod development groups
    Athlon X2 3800
    2gb DDR400
    6800nu -> 16x6
    2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Comment

I do agree that not being kept in the dark would keep a lot of people quiet.

Comment

There's not much we can tell you really. Daemon Tools v4 will basically have the same features as Daemon Tools v3, plus a checkbox for Auto Insert Notification.

It'll be heavily encrypted against reverse engineering, it will fix all the latest blacklists, and it will be re-coded from scratch.

What kind of updates do you expect? You know the features, you don't know the bugs in the current beta. What the developers are doing right now is fixing bugs. Should we tell you that we had an error because of a typo in line 769 resulting in Daemon Tools deleting all files on your c:\ drive that are between 128kb and 129kb in size? Because that's what's being done... (Well, maybe not exactly with the deleted files...).

Just be patient for a little longer. It won't be long anymore.
        "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Originally Posted by NetSoerfer
          It'll be heavily encrypted against reverse engineering
          why is that? as for DT Pro with its unique features such as the upcoming virtual IDE drive plugin that would make a lot of sense to me since you of course don't want other companies to know how you do it, but as for DT4 regular version why is it heavily encrypted? does that have something to do with copy protection developers looking for a way to blacklist DT4?

Comment

Exactly. If Daemon Tools was easily reverse engineered, all they had to to was check for some characteristics in the code and blacklist them. Then we'd have to start anew with Daemon Tools v5.

This way, there are little, if any, points to look at for blacklisting. So we'll hopefully have a stable, working, not-blacklisted version of DT4 for a long time.
            "I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Exactly. If Daemon Tools was easily reverse engineered, all they had to to was check for some characteristics in the code and blacklist them. Then we'd have to start anew with Daemon Tools v5.

This way, there are little, if any, points to look at for blacklisting. So we'll hopefully have a stable, working, not-blacklisted version of DT4 for a long time.
              The #1 blacklisting problem right now is the registry. Normally, programs shouldn't use the registry at all (IMNSHO), but given the low-level nature of dtools (drivers), is this possible at all? Will v4 still use the registry for the non-driver part of the program?
              To contact me privately, pray. I might answer.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nikos
                The #1 blacklisting problem right now is the registry. Normally, programs shouldn't use the registry at all (IMNSHO), but given the low-level nature of dtools (drivers), is this possible at all? Will v4 still use the registry for the non-driver part of the program?
                good question, there are many ways to blacklist an app, but i'm sure the dt team know this already - and just as there are ways to blacklist, there are ways to get around this.
                Athlon X2 3800
                2gb DDR400
                6800nu -> 16x6
                2x160 SATA Raid, 160gb + 80gb + 80gb IDE

Comment

There's not much we can tell you really.

What kind of updates do you expect?

Just be patient for a little longer. It won't be long anymore.
                  Well, I think you have taken what I meant by updates the wrong way. Of course I do not expect staff, or anyone else to go into detail about bugs found, problems...etc, I am just saying, the last time anyone mentioned a possible release date was back in the middle - end of august. My point was, maybe at least once a week coming on and saying like: We have a release date expectancy of Oct. 31st, or Nov 15th, or whatever, if it needs to be changed, change it, at least we'll have something to go by, thereby quelling all of the "WHEN IS IT COMING OUT" messages and forum postings...

Now you understand what I am talking about? Sorry if I was unclear earlier.

Comment

i'm sure there was a post about the latest game drive from farstone but i can not find it... (deleted maybe ??????)
                    anyway i used to use virtual drive from them the switched fully to alcohol and dt. i just installed it and have not yet tested anything, but: they claim to support starforce 3 "new", and securom 7 and finally dvd discs. also of IMPORTANCE under the tools menu toolbar they have .........guess what ????
                    "ENABLE/DISABLE IDE CD-ROM"

time for me to do some testing.....
                    looks like other companies are geting in on the act of this method......

Comment

Working...
                    X