Unread post retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unread post retention

I dunno if I shall post here or in the Error/Broken link section of the forum, but here seems more appropriate.

Imho, the unread status of the treads/post is taken off too fast. I dunno if there is a way to circumvent that... but as I have the habbit to leave the comp with the DT forum on, and not completly read, when I return... the site thinks that I've read everything.

Twas my rant

PS : If there is no way to go throught that, it's not a problem.

Kinlaadare
    Carpe diem

What you're asking for is a longer idle timeout (I think).
    the modern world:
    net helpmsg 4006

Comment

aye, you're right
      didn't remember the word yesterday evening...
      Carpe diem

Comment

Or maybe you tried to remember the word and then walked away from the computer and then couldn't reply when you came back because you were logged out. :-)
        the modern world:
        net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Yes, I let the browser open on the DT site while I slept
          Carpe diem

Comment

Now I think the unread status last to long! About 10-15 minutes sometimes, seems like it's random or something.
            It even marks the threads that I was the last one to post in as undread.
            Sometimes it marks threads as unread 30 minutes after I allready have read it and marked it as read with the "Mark Forums Read" function.

This has to be fixed I am getting really confused of what i have read and what i haven't read.

Comment

I don't know if it random or not... but when I came back this morning and opened the brower on the DT forum... Hum? nutting new? nutting happened during tha nite? And looking more closely to the last post... there were some activity but nutting is marked.

This is a real mess.

Originally Posted by Methadon
              This has to be fixed I am getting really confused of what i have read and what i haven't read.
              me too.
              Carpe diem

Comment

Yeah, vBulletin's tracking system seems to be broken.

You can at least get the subforums to show their correct status (i.e. if you've read all new posts in a subforum, it'll have the blue "now new posts" instead of the orange "new posts" icon) by doing the following:

After you've read the last post, don't use the browser's back function but click on the link to the subforum at the top of every page, then go to the forum start page.

For example, if you've read the thread "Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 Wild" and want to go back, you first click on "General Copy Discussion" and then, in case there are no other new threads in this forum, you click on "THE DAEMONS HOME". (Check the attached image, the mentioned links are highlighted in red.)

"I was inappropriately blunt, wasn't I? Sorry, I do that a lot."

Comment

Thanks for the tip
                  Carpe diem

Comment

One thing that I have noticed is that when they people that has to get their posts aproved before it shows up,
                    when their post shows up, it don't shows any unread status either on the forum category or the thread.

Can this be fixed?

Comment

related to vbulletin.com thread # 731740

There's a timeout setting that ends your session. Does this happen within the same logon session (ie. 10 minute window after last site access) before you manually or automatically(via "Remember Me?" setting) login again?
                      the modern world:
                      net helpmsg 4006

Comment

Oh my god that was really confusing, let's see if I can answer this correctly.

I'll guess that this both happends in the same logon session and when i logon again via Remember Me.

But I don't see why this should have anything to do about it, because I see the unread status on all the other forums/threads, although it doesn't work as I want it to.

Edit: Now afterwards I'm not even sure if that was an answer to my post.

Comment

Re: related to vbulletin.com thread # 731740

The level of detail only gets worse, Methadon. But here goes:

This regards 'read marks being reset'

This regards going idle or manually or automatically (via "Remember Me?" setting) logging in again

This gives a definition of the 'Timeout for Cookie' setting

edit: Yes Methadon, I was replying to you.
                          the modern world:
                          net helpmsg 4006

Comment

I will read that later.
                            I'm to damn tired to read that right know, it is 06.00 am here now and I havn't slept all night.
                            Last edited by Methadon; 09.11.2005, 06:06.

Comment

yes, I know about the problems of the tracking system.
                              I've now changed the way our portal tracks the new posts.
                              Please post again here if that fixed your problems

Comment

Working...
                              X