PDA

View Full Version : CD-R/W messed up

Burning Gundam
30.10.2005, 03:23
So I got Daemon tools with this other program.I installed it because I knew what the program was about and then my Drive(Cd drive) started making noices.:mad: I uninstalled it. Now everytime i put a Cd in,it wont work and when im burning something with windows media player,it stops burning and then the Cd which was cancelled but had 2 songs burned on it is useless. :(
The drive tray doesn't even close sometimes:mad:

Anyone know what happened and how to fix it?

Nikos
30.10.2005, 04:00
What is this "other program" you're mentioning?

Xristaki
30.10.2005, 04:51
I have a feeling he used starforce nightmare

Burning Gundam
30.10.2005, 20:36
I have a feeling he used starforce nightmare
What is that?

AnalCobra
30.10.2005, 21:12
It'a program with it you could disable your ide channels.
So you could disable your cd drives or your hdd.
You have advanced options like diable pr.master sec.slave......, too.

,jACkdA\W
30.10.2005, 23:50
Now, what was that 'other program' ?

Zonekill9
31.10.2005, 03:57
I think you should scan with your Anti Virus , just in case.

Kaloyan_78
31.10.2005, 07:21
Uninstall what you installed before the problem, scan for viruses and use a program like TuneUp Utilities to check the mistakes and everything should be fine. If not - Format C: as we like to say in our local forum. And it works, haha:D .

al1uk
31.10.2005, 14:27
what is this "other program"?? If you name it, it should help find the problem

Burning Gundam
01.11.2005, 03:25
Uninstall what you installed before the problem, scan for viruses and use a program like TuneUp Utilities to check the mistakes and everything should be fine. If not - Format C: as we like to say in our local forum. And it works, haha:D .
Alright I'll try that.:)

What will happen if I format?

Erase everything?

NetSoerfer
01.11.2005, 12:35
WHOA, not so fast!

Kaloyan_78, such a suggestion may be funny for people who know what it means, but as you see some don't and might try it.

Don't use format c: if you don't know what it does!

It will erase your c: drive deleting all your data. You'll need to backup your important files from C:\, and reinstall Windows afterwards. So if you haven't done that before, don't do it!

johngalt
02.11.2005, 20:25
A general piece of advice:

N00bs - research everything before you do it - don't just take the word of one person and try something.

Advisers - remember, not everyone is computer savvy - some people don't have much of a clue what things do, and thus simply telling them to "do X" is not sufficient.

Nikos
02.11.2005, 23:36
You can type FORMAT C: in the console as many times as you want, it won't do anything.

Underheaven
03.11.2005, 02:07
You can type FORMAT C: in the console as many times as you want, it won't do anything.
Screenshot, Nikos? :grin:

p.s. everyone else see NetSoerfer's warning above.

Nikos
03.11.2005, 10:00
Screenshot, Nikos? :grin:

p.s. everyone else see NetSoerfer's warning above.
Actually, I can prove it:

Here's a screenshot from my main PC (http://rapidshare.de/files/7124706/Screen1.jpg.html), which runs a Greek version of Windows. The error message just says "Access denied" after I typed FORMAT C: . Running XP with administrator rights, is like striking a match inside a TNT-filled basement...

The second screenshot (http://rapidshare.de/files/7124746/Screen2.jpg.html) is from the english version (running as administrator).

Oh, and NetSoerfer's warning doesn't apply anymore... :D

johngalt
04.11.2005, 03:29
and I bet greater than 75% of users with NT-based OSs *are* running with an account that has computer administrator privileges....

Nikos
04.11.2005, 06:25
and I bet greater than 75% of users with NT-based OSs *are* running with an account that has computer administrator privileges....Yeah, that's probably the main reason worms and viruses spread that easily.

Fortunately, XP still doesn't allow you to format your C: drive (or mount point) even when having admin privileges. It should be pointed out though, that "C: drive" is just a common term for the "main" partition in your PC. If someone has installed XP in D: or E:, doing a "format C:" just to see if it's allowed is like shooting yourself in the foot....

johngalt
04.11.2005, 19:45
yup - admin level privileges. Gotta love them. I was exploring for a while running with lua (limited user access, not the programming language) but then decided to continue to forage into Linux instead.

I wasn't brave enough to follow it through, but logged in as administrator (not an admin-enabled account, but as *the* administrator account) entering format C: in cmd got me a prompt to enter the current volume label - I didn't proceed because I cannot remember for sure if there is another prompt (I believe there is - where it tells you that this will destroy all data and asks if I want to continue) but at least there are *some* checks and balances.

Burning Gundam
05.11.2005, 21:19
Yeah, that's probably the main reason worms and viruses spread that easily.

Fortunately, XP still doesn't allow you to format your C: drive (or mount point) even when having admin privileges. It should be pointed out though, that "C: drive" is just a common term for the "main" partition in your PC. If someone has installed XP in D: or E:, doing a "format C:" just to see if it's allowed is like shooting yourself in the foot....
So if I Format my C dive it won't delete anything?

NetSoerfer
06.11.2005, 02:55
Just don't...

Nikos, please stop posting stuff like this, I don't want to explain to an unexperienced user who didn't understand everything you said why his Windows installation (probably including important files) is gone...

Nikos
06.11.2005, 03:00
Nikos, please stop posting stuff like this, I don't want to explain to an unexperienced user who didn't understand everything you said why his Windows installation (probably including important files) is gone...Point taken. Although the best way to learn about computers, is to blow everything up first! :rolleyes:

Nikos
06.11.2005, 03:03
So if I Format my C dive it won't delete anything?If you're lucky, it will. :D

(That was not a typo; we're talking about Windows here...)

Methadon
06.11.2005, 03:04
Point taken. Although the best way to learn about computers, is to blow everything up first! :rolleyes:
Hahaha! Is that how you learned about computers? :D

Nikos
06.11.2005, 03:45
Hahaha! Is that how you learned about computers? :DComming from a Unix (and also MS-DOG) background, the answer is a resounding yes! You can't imagine how good it feels to have a script that evaluates to a "rm * ~" instead of a "rm *~" while wondering where your files have gone!